No announcement yet.

Lifting Eye 1985 etxk ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like that is a good option, as you can use the truck to move it where ever you want.

thought about building an A frame to pull and hang the motors, but then you would have to move the boat out from under them to work on transom

Comment

Socey, you must have longer shafts. Mine is about 42" from top bolt to skeg (and with the lower unit on, I can trim the motor up and down and it clears the rear 4x). The key piece of construction I used was the triangular pieces of 1/2" plywood. They add an IMMENSE amount of rigidity and support. And it's very easy to do, to!

Will that bed crane have a high enough reach? Along with what was mentioned about the trailer suspension rising, your truck suspension will lower. But I suppose you could always back up onto some ramps for extra clearance. When you check the specs of that crane, double check the weight vs extension specs. Often times, as the arm is extended (to give greater height or reach), the maximum weight goes down. Although, it's not like if you're a little over the max weight it's going to immediately collapse. Drive VERY slowly with it!!! Any little bump is going to effectively increase the stress that the crane and the attachment point in the pickup truck bed receives.
      Last edited by DennisG01; 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Success! Thanks again - took two hours to build the stands each at leisure, and a couple of hours to remove the motors - was easier than I thought for a change.
        Attached Files

Comment

looks like the lift would not move to well across the ground with a motor hanging on it. How did you get it to roll around?

Comment

Cool!

Now, see... all that worrying you were doing was for nothing!

Glad you got it worked out.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Would not budge on the ground - bought some thick partical board, and it moved quite easily with my brother's assistance.
              I can use the scrap for a second template for the transom - cardboard being the first!
              I need to start a new thread about the starting procedure for motors on stands if I can't research it.
              Thanks again for helping me - you are a great resource!
              Attached Files

Comment

I did not see your responses in time 99 YAM40, Dennis so let me respond now: I went with the conventional hoist because the hitch type had negative reviews regarding a loose fit, and you have to add side legs which prohibits mobility.The problem with the conventional one is the legs hit before the arm was far enough over the stands so we had to tilt the stands foward to hook the outboards then lower as one unit - no big deal but requires two people.
                I will messure my shafts - maybe 25s.
                My brother worries me, and I pass it on

Comment

Working...
                X