? corrosion problems with 2004, 200hp 4-stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captn Dave View Post
    Obviously he was referring to the corrosion issue the OP was concerned about. Not so obvious to me. Must be my poor reading comprehension skills.
    And yes, we know that aluminum corrodes in saltwater. Many act like it is a complete mystery.
    Should we pull the powerhead of every outboard make and model and inspect?
    If he was enquiring about the OP's F200 motor then why did he specifically ask about the F150? That was the part that threw me off.

If someone truly wants to know the complete condition of an F200/F225/F250 Yamaha with suspect corrosion then yes, the power head has to come off. The thermostats have to be removed. Other brands and models may have different inspection requirements. There is no xray procedure that I am aware of which can be used on a Yamaha outboard motor to see internal corrosion. Looking up the exhaust will only provide part of an answer.

Is there any other way to see the bottom of the block and the top of the mid-section? Maybe so, but I don't know about that way.

Ever seen an air liner opened up for a corrosion inspection? Everything in the interior comes out, right down to the bare metal walls. Galleys are removed. Floors come up. Gear comes off. Flaps come off. Slats come off. Fuel tanks are drained and opened up so someone can go inside for an inspection. Oh, the engines do have inspection ports so that a bore scope can be used to inspect for internal corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      If he was enquiring about the OP's F200 motor then why did he specifically ask about the F150? That was the part that threw me off.

Because he wasn't sure if the problem with the early 2000 year 200-225's also affected the F150's.

If someone truly wants to know the complete condition of an F200/F225/F250 Yamaha with suspect corrosion then yes, the power head has to come off. The thermostats have to be removed. Other brands and models may have different inspection requirements. There is no xray procedure that I am aware of which can be used on a Yamaha outboard motor to see internal corrosion. Looking up the exhaust will only provide part of an answer.

Is there any other way to see the bottom of the block and the top of the mid-section? Maybe so, but I don't know about that way.

Ever seen an air liner opened up for a corrosion inspection? Everything in the interior comes out, right down to the bare metal walls. Galleys are removed. Floors come up. Gear comes off. Flaps come off. Slats come off. Fuel tanks are drained and opened up so someone can go inside for an inspection. Oh, the engines do have inspection ports so that a bore scope can be used to inspect for internal corrosion.
      I've been working on aircraft for over 40 years so I'm somewhat familiar with the required periodic inspections. These inspections are performed in areas that have a history of corrosion, cracks and/or wear. Some areas differ from different aircraft types. Sometimes the material or assembly is revised and the inspection interval is extended and sometimes even removed.
      Engine borescope ports are to inspect more for internal damage to the blades, inspect for cracks and inspect for wear or damage in the turbine section.

Does Yamaha offer recommended corrosion inspection intervals on their engines? Do they provide borescope ports to internal areas?

Comment

I don't see Yamaha as being mute at all.

They have redesigned the parts to hopefully eliminate the problem.

They have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in out of warranty repairs on a good will basis.

They have reduced the price of the parts so that all can benefit.

I'm not a "Yamaha basher".

I did not say they were unresponsive - I agree they have been

And as a second owner of a long-out-of-warranty F225 I VERY much appreciated paying ~$700 for the "kit" instead of 3 grand

But - so far as I've read -

they have neither officially acknowledged the problem -

nor shared what they've learned about it's cause

So far as I know, they are STILL blowing smoke with the "we told you to flush your engine" line

Comment

"we told you to flush your engine"

I winced when I read that in Yamaha's reply to boatsus regarding the mid-section corrosion issue.

Yamaha Japan's poor engineering skills are only surpassed by Yamaha USA's poor PR skills.

How much better it might have been if Yamaha USA simply said "we know there is a problem, we are working on a solution for the problem, we are sorry for the problem and we are doing what we can, within our abilities, to help those that have the problem".

But life goes on. From what I can gather none of this has caused a reduction in sales of Yamaha outboards. Oh yes, some Yamaha owners have gone to other brands but at the same time owners of other brands have switched to Yamaha outboards.

Comment

"we told you to flush your engine"

I winced when I read that in Yamaha's reply to boatsus regarding the mid-section corrosion issue.

Yamaha Japan's poor engineering skills are only surpassed by Yamaha USA's poor PR skills.

How much better it might have been if Yamaha USA simply said "we know there is a problem, we are working on a solution for the problem, we are sorry for the problem and we are doing what we can, within our abilities, to help those that have the problem".

But life goes on. From what I can gather none of this has caused a reduction in sales of Yamaha outboards. Oh yes, some Yamaha owners have gone to other brands but at the same time owners of other brands have switched to Yamaha outboards.
            It is a world trend (no! established practice) for companies to hide more and more about their product (including denial) and be less honest to maintain their "competitive " edge.
            This includes the tactic of blaming the consumer first! before accepting some responsibility for the problem or fault.
            It is completely old fashioned (inappropriate even), for a company's modus operadi to include within their approach "we know there is a problem, we are sorry..........."

Comment

F225 Corrosion Problem

I am in the market for a boat around 2004 with twin Yamaha 225's. What should I do regarding the corrosion problem:

avoid those boats?
              Get the boat with 250's?
              Get the boat and do the 4k repair regardless.

I need some advise, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Captn Dave View Post

Does Yamaha offer recommended corrosion inspection intervals on their engines? Do they provide borescope ports to internal areas?

Newer Yamaha owners manuals say to inspect/replace the exhaust guide and the exhaust manifold every 5 years or 1000 hours.

No borescope ports.

Comment

Originally posted by w987rl11 View Post
                  I am in the market for a boat around 2004 with twin Yamaha 225's. What should I do regarding the corrosion problem:

avoid those boats?
                  Get the boat with 250's?
                  Get the boat and do the 4k repair regardless.

I need some advise, thanks.
                  I own a single 2005 F225.
                  Bought it with ~750 hours - knowing nothing of "the corrosion problem".

Eventually read of it, confirmed "I had it" - and installed "the kit" at 1000 hrs.

Just hit 1500 hours. Both before & after the repair, the engine has been pure joy. "Runs like a clock"

From what I have read, there is some chance that the earliest F250 could also suffer exhaust corrosion.

For me, additional considerations would be
                  - the F250 is an "interference" design - the F225 is not
                  - the F225 runs on 87 octane - does the F250 not require higher?

I see no reason to "avoid" the F225.
                  If the mid-section has already been replaced, then its a non-issue.
                  If not, factor the $ for that possible repair into the purchase price.

However - the bore on the engine block where the thermostats sit is a second potential "corrosion" area on the early F225s.

So those areas should be examined before purchase; no easy "kit" to address that.

But excepting those possible pitfalls, I believe the F225 is an excellent choice

Comment

2004 F225, buy or pass ?

Gents, all these horror stories about the corrosion problem. Should I just pass and not buy Yamaha in those years. I am in the market for a newer boat and most of them are rigged with the F225.

Please advise, I am confused and very disappointed at the saem time.

Comment

Originally posted by w987rl11 View Post
                      Gents, all these horror stories about the corrosion problem. Should I just pass and not buy Yamaha in those years. I am in the market for a newer boat and most of them are rigged with the F225.

Please advise, I am confused and very disappointed at the saem time.
                      New is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I would not consider a 2004 model year boat to be "newer". A 2004 model year motor even less so.

IMO anything that has been used in saltwater and which does not have a manufacturer's warranty remaining is a risky proposition. The early F200/F225/F250's just make it more so.

If I were to be forced to buy a used Yamaha then for me it would have to be from about 2007 and later.

Comment

Thank you Fairdeal for your insight

And thank you boscoe99.

Unfortunately, I only have the budget for a 30 footer within those model years. I would love to go newer, who doesn't after all.

Comment

the kit is less than 710 dollars.
                          a monkey can install it in about 8 hours.

it may not NEED a kit.
                          my bore scope will do video,still pics and audio.
                          I did not know about the audio until I sent Kennesaw a file .

I will try to post some video and pics of an 04 F225 I am finishing tomorrow.

typically the motors do well.
                          we have seen the occasional hesd corrode or varios plugs corrode.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            were you saying things you should not have been on the video you sent them?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              the kit is less than 710 dollars.
                              a monkey can install it in about 8 hours.

it may not NEED a kit.

I will try to post some video and pics of an 04 F225 I am finishing tomorrow.

typically the motors do well.
                              we have seen the occasional hesd corrode or varios plugs corrode.
                              Mr. Rodbolt;

I would like to see the pics. and video you spoke of if you would so kindly post.

Thank you

Comment

gotta figure out how to get it off my SD card and onto a thread.

my scope is a snap on BK6000 series that has both straight and 90* vision.

it will take stills,video and audio.

the scope wand is about 3ft long so I can get all the way to the engine ex.

what your looking for isn't them thar white dots.

your looking for ANY gasket protrusion at the mating surfaces indicating the metal is eroding.

once we see the protrusion we know the stack is failing.
                                noted the ING and not an ED.

what we DO NOT know is how many hours,days or minutes before we go from failing to failed.

Comment

Working...
                                X