Clogged Water Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged Water Pipe

Gents, I have a 2000 F100 4Stroke. It started overheating so I have put a new waterpump, thermostat, and removed manifold cover and cleaned out manifolds. It is still overheating. I am stumped and tried everything I can think of. When running the engine with water while the boat is trailord the boat still overheats, water is coming out of the tell tale and a small amount out of the prop. Also alot of cold water comes out of the forward overflow which tells me there might be a clog as it seems the water pump is pushing the water but instead of being shot up the waterpipe its being pushed out of the overflow. The only thing I can think of is that it has a clog in the water pipe perhaps from part of the old impeller. Does anyone have any idea of why I might still be overheating, and or what I have to do to be able to clean out the Water Pipe? Need help, 5 days worth of work into this thing.
    Last edited by DavidSta; 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM.

You answered your own question...

If your still missing parts of the impeller and CANNOT account for them all, you need to start looking and find them. It doesn't take but a small piece in the right spot to cause issues. You may end up pulling a head to check the cylinder water passages...

As bad as your impeller was, did you replace with an entire kit and was there ANY DAMAGE to the impeller housing (not included in the kit)? ANY damage/warpage will affect the volume of water flowing...

I would probably start by pulling the LU and hook up a garden hose to the water pipe. Pulling the thermostat, you may luck out and flush it out. Obviously, either catch the water that comes out, or on the driveway to see if your getting anything out..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2015, 04:37 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Clogged Water pipe

Townsends,
      I think I am past that point. I replaced entire waterpump with a new kit. Housing and all. Old impeller was pretty well chewed up. I have blown compressed air in manifold, down thermostat hole and up the water pipe. Is it safe to run a wire or something like that up the water pipe? I pretty much need to know how to take apart the MidSection, I have removed the upper and lower bolts but it still is not budging so I think i have to pull the power head. I am attempting to clear the water pipe and need to know how best to do it. Im hoping someone will tell me you can remove the midsection without pulling the power head. If I have to pull the power head, is it something I can tackle or should I send it out? Thanks for reccommendations anyway, BTW.

Comment

I would NOT pull the powerhead off the midsection, no reason to..

I don't a reason why you couldn't run a wire up thru that pipe. It shouldn't hurt anything.

Your stray pieces of impeller are most likely in the block water jackets or in the water jacket in the head itself...

Follow the water flow, up from the pump, thru the "pipe" and then directly into the powerhead.

*One member had a piece of broken impeller get stuck in the head right near a temp sensor, blocking water flow and overheating...

I would make sure the pipe did not slip out (or corrode away)..

Here's the head, parts fisch for your engine. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

If your going to pull the head (or anything else), I would strongly suggest you get a shop manual, have a torque wrench and have a good idea what your getting into. A two stroke, piece of cake, a 4 stroke, a whole lot more to deal with, belt, cams, correct timing, etc... Its way beyond a thermostat, etc..

Rodbolt or someone else may have an idea on where the debris could be. You may want to wait a couple of days for others to respond before tearing deep into the engine..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2015, 09:15 PM.
        Scott

Comment

waterpipe

Townsends,
          ends up you are exactly right. We have been flushing and flushing and have found 2 1/2 blades of the old impeller in waterpassages in the manifold. Its still overheating. There is probably quite a bit more of the old impeller lodged in places that is preventing water flow but we cannot find it. I dont know whats next but Im beginning to run out of options on finding the blockage. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. I went and bought a jet nozzle and flushed the engine from the waterpipe and from other areas and that has exposed the peices of rubber that we found but there is obviously a piece or two stuck somewhere because it doesnt take long to overheat once we start it up.
          Im Stumped and wonder if removing the powerhead is our only option.

Comment

Some progress, that's good!

I'd pull out whatever sensors are in the head, thermostat, etc and try blowing with air, water, etc, you may luck out. Inspecting with a strong beamed flashlight may help find a stuck piece you can pick out with a coat hanger, etc. The other member I mentioned earlier, it was one little piece that caused all his issues...

In any event, if you can't get all the pieces out (still over heating) (and the sensors are working properly), you don't have to pull the entire power head off the mid section.

Simply (ya, simple for a 4 stroke-NOT), pull the head and that should give you access to all the coolant passages for inspection/cleaning.

Its considerably more involved than a two stroke head, with cam timing, cams, tensioner, etc, but with a good manual, proper tools and a good understanding what your getting into, it can be done.. Lots of digital pic's and details on what bolts go where is a BIG help too when re-assembling..

Good luck and post back what you find..
            Scott
            Scott

Comment

Any updates???
              Scott

Comment

None yet. I plan on getting back on it tonight. In the mean time I ordered a shop manual. I keep you updated as I go.

Comment

Working...
                X