No announcement yet.

2002 F115 "Rec / Reg (Main Fuse)" shorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess all depends on how often you have to replace the cheap ones compared to the OEM.

And just to add, they do not like bad connections
    I have never had to replace the one on my 1999 C40TLRX so far

Comment

I've had to say a 1000 times " Fuses don't blow without a reason" ether you know how to test with a DVM or not. If you don't then find someone that knows what they are doing.. FUNNY, I work for SOO many Electricians !

Comment

Originally posted by craigsboat View Post

Cool. $115 isn bad. I assume its made in Japan, the USA, Canada or at least Mexico for 6x the price of aftermarket?
        You know what they say about assume. My bet is that the Yamaha branded RR is made in China. Why not?

Comment

Beer and pizza says he running deep cly batts

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            Beer and pizza says he running deep cly batts
            I ran two gels for 5 or 6 years. At the end of that either one or both voltage regulators blew. Replaced them both and one gel with a deep cycle. That was about one year ago. Now I have one bad regulator and two good batteries. What's your take on the above? And what's your take on deep cycle batteries ? Thanks

Comment

I recommend as does the manufactures. Cranking or dual purpose. And always same size and pwr. Of cranking amps . and/or MCA. I also like Blue Sea System ACR over a perko Switch. My customers like them very much. A No brainer...

Comment

Batteries can fail either by shorting or going high in internal resistance. For protection of your motor, you probably want the latter, however a regulator in the first scenario has massive current demanded from it. In the second scenario the voltage regulator may see too high voltages.

Now if you have a two battery system, that regulator could be experiencing a short and then switched to high voltage it probably can’t handle one after the other. Could also be the case around the other way.

If you want to really examine your system, it is worth checking how the battery selector switch works. Most tend to maintain constant connection, meaning there will be sometime that the first battery remains connected before the second battery goes at it alone (no break of +ves). Sometimes you want the selector switch to break before it makes connection to the second battery!
                Last edited by zenoahphobic; 03-08-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

We call those make before break batt switch. a ACR is SOO much better. Also trouble Free and no longer do you have to deal with a switch. A simple NO Brainer

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                    We call those make before break batt switch. a ACR is SOO much better. Also trouble Free and no longer do you have to deal with a switch. A simple NO Brainer
                    Never installed an ACR on a boat before. Do I need both the ACR and the switch for my two battery system? Or just the ACR? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by craigsboat View Post
                      Never installed an ACR on a boat before. Do I need both the ACR and the switch for my two battery system? Or just the ACR? Thanks
                      ACR is used for combining normally isolated batteries for charging, because it senses the higher output of the alternator to automatically switch a relay when the engine is running.

If you want to use an ACR in place of a manual switch then you need to simulate this higher voltage (13.3?) but hardly worth the trouble when a normal relay(s) would do for this purpose. But there are many arrangements possible depending upon what you really want to achieve.
                      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 03-08-2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

may want a switch also if you want to turn off/disconnect the batteries to stop accidental discharging them while put away

Comment

Working...
                        X