No announcement yet.

Reaching a consensus - Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching a consensus - Is it possible?

Mercury Marine offers two different types of systems to produce electricity so as to charge a battery. One being a belt driven alternator. Like what most have in their cars and trucks. Electro-magnets being turned by a drive belt.

The other type is that used by Yamaha. An alternator but of a different type. Permanent magnets being turned by the flywheel.

I am trying to come up with some names to call these gizmo's. So that when someone mentions X we all know what X is. This may be an impossible task.

I am thinking of belt driven alternator and flywheel driven alternator. Belt alternator and flywheel alternator for short.

What say ya'll? Let's hear some ideas.

Belt alternator and Flywheel alternator sounds good to me….I mean, what else can you call ‘em???….

Comment

Electro-magnets and Permanent magnets sounds like the big difference in them

I take it the electro ones run with brushes and slip rings

maybe run with the way they call the motors, brushed and brushless

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Electro-magnets and Permanent magnets sounds like the big difference in them

I take it the electro ones run with brushes and slip rings yes.

maybe run with the way they call the motors, brushed and brushless
        Over some Bass Boat boards they are calling the Yamaha system a "stator". Which both types use.

Since there are electro magnets that use brushes and some that are brushless, I am guessing that would result in more confusion. Trying to keep it simple as possible.

Comment

I guess it's like trying to standardise a motor "blowing up" that means everything and anything from just stopped to actually exploded! or, start, turn over, crank, run, light off, all terms interchanged.

Comment

And why are they called alternators anyway, strange to use the verb as a noun describing a characteristic of a machine that we don’t really want because we rectify the stuff to DC?

Comment

WELL, being that MERCURY is the big kid on the block. Always has been and will be forever !! Most merc outboards use a stator for charging batts and ignition. Very, very few use a belt driven alternator. BTW there are no brushes or slip rings in stator systems. No sparking allowed. If u study ABYC and CFR 142 and sub sections you will find your answers... Tight lines
              Last edited by Keithbaja; 02-23-2022, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                I guess it's like trying to standardise a motor "blowing up" that means everything and anything from just stopped to actually exploded! or, start, turn over, crank, run, light off, all terms interchanged.
                Yep, never seen a “blown up” engine. Only perhaps a conrod out the side or just a hole! And flames, not ever exploding, most catastrophic damage is contained and much hidden inside the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                  WELL, being that MERCURY is the big kid on the block. Always has been and will be forever !! Most merc outboards use a stator for charging batts and ignition. Very, very few use a belt driven alternator. BTW there are no brushes or slip rings in stator systems. No sparking allowed. If u study ABYC and CFR 142 and sub sections you will find your answers... Tight lines
                  Well what is in Boscoe’s Merc example if no slip rings?

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                    Well actually all Mercury outboards use a stator. Both the belt driven alternator and the flywheel driven alternator.

So one type uses brushes and slip rings and the other type does not use brushes and slip rings.

That is what prompted this thread. Seeing if a better name than "stator" can be found.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I am presuming that the Cox diesel is using a Yamaha type of electrical generation system. The type of alternator that does not use brushes and slip rings.

Comment

I understand how permanent magnet units work and slip ring electromagnet units,
                            but how do the electromagnet ones without brushes and slip rings work?

maybe some residual magnetism like some generators use to get current flowing.
                            but then I still am not sure I understand that

Comment

"flywheel integrated" - I like that

so maybe "belt driven" vs "flywheel integrated" gets the point across

although it would be nice,
                              to also express the energized field vs permanent magnet difference

Comment

Working...
                              X