Panasonic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic question

Before you ask…Because Panasonic knows his metal coatings.

We discussed treating aluminum with alodine in the past. A friend gave me his old Power Pole, a shallow water anchor, and I am refurbishing it. Two four foot u shaped pieces of painted aluminum that are dipped in saltwater repeatedly. A good bit of the paint has flaked off. I will get it sandblasted and will polish it prior to coating. My thought is to spray 2-3 coats of high quality clear coat over the polished surface. Flaking will be inevitable with whatever I use to coat it. The twisting stress that it is subjected to will eventually crack the paint and peeling will begin. My thought is the peeling and aluminum corrosion will be less noticeable than if I painted white. Now the question……should I treat with alodine prior to coating with clear coat? Will that help bond the clear coat? I realize it may give the metal a gold tint.

It all depends on what kind of Aluminum it's made from and what kind of Alodine you have. Some Aluminum alloys "treat" better than others and generally the more golden it turns the better the treatment process was and the better paint adhesion. Other aluminum alloys hardly turn color at all.

In saying all that...the paint will stick better to the treated aluminum. Do a test piece and see what happens. The more its polished the harder for the paint to stick.

Comment

Holy crap those things are $$$$$..lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Holy crap those things are $$$$$..lol
        It was nice to get one for free. Someone mentioned not to sandblast aluminum. I have to sand it at some point to clean off the existing oxidation. Do you see any issues with sandblasting? I assume any anodizing is already gone on the areas with oxidation.
        Having asked all these questions, I have not yet called their tech support for guidance.

Comment

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lodine1201.php

Comment

I bought both solutions awhile back when fluppering around with the thermostat bore issue. Typically, I am probably over complicating this task. Freshwater dudes have it so easy.

Comment

Wouldn't worry to much about the sandblasting for that part. Just clean it real good and use the alumiprep before the alodine.

We dont use sand to blast our parts, we use glass bead, plastic bead or crushed walnut shells. Why they are saying not to use sand is micro particles can get stuck in the aluminum and cause corrosion to start. But for that anchor I would not be concerned about that.

If it concerns you, find someone who uses an inert blast media like I mentioned above.

Good luck

Comment

Wouldn't worry to much about the sandblasting for that part. Just clean it real good and use the alumiprep before the alodine.

We dont use sand to blast our parts, we use glass bead, plastic bead or crushed walnut shells. Why they are saying not to use sand is micro particles can get stuck in the aluminum and cause corrosion to start. But for that anchor I would not be concerned about that.

If it concerns you, find someone who uses an inert blast media like I mentioned above.

Good luck
                I found a company to bead blast and powder coat for $150. Saves much aggravation. Should be done soon.

Comment

Sounds good.....perhaps a before and after picture?

Comment

Sounds good.....perhaps a before and after picture?
                    Struggling with postimage site…hopefully these are before pics

Comment

After…..

Comment

looks good from here.

I am surprised that down rod is not pointed
                        soft mud it does not matter, but hard sand bottoms a point would help a little

Comment

Brand spanking new!

Comment

Looks brand new!!
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                            X