No announcement yet.

Prop jam/stall - things to worry about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop jam/stall - things to worry about?

Managed to contrive a way to wrap a lobster trap rope around my prop (don't ask). It stalled the engine right away. I cleared the rope off really easily, just unwrapped it. Doesn't seem like it was digging into anything. Engine started up just fine and ran great the rest of the weekend. Any thing I should check or worry about?

I’ve done similar by running over crab trap rope….unwound it….no problems at all..

Comment

Agreed. It happens.

Comment

Yup, it happens. Been there, done that.

Probably fine. But it could have spun the hub a bit (you didn't mention what type of hub, or even what engine you have). If you don't notice any vibration I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have to be close, always go past traps on the backside of them.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          Yup, it happens. Been there, done that.

Probably fine. But it could have spun the hub a bit (you didn't mention what type of hub, or even what engine you have). If you don't notice any vibration I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have to be close, always go past traps on the backside of them.
          yep watch wind and current directions

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. It's a 2020 F70 with the hub/prop that came with it. Yeah, no vibrations or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by chartscharts View Post
              Thanks for the reassurance. It's a 2020 F70 with the hub/prop that came with it. Yeah, no vibrations or anything.
              What KIND of hub, though? Does the prop use a rubber, pressed in hub? Does it use a plastic, slide-in style?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

What KIND of hub, though? Does the prop use a rubber, pressed in hub? Does it use a plastic, slide-in style?
                Guess I don't know and I'm not sure how I would tell. It's yamaha's shift dampening system I think. But if I really knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't be so grateful for all the help I get on this site.

Comment

the old press in rubber hubs had to be repaired by a prop shop. no way a regular person could press out the old and in with a new one.
                  the newer hubs can be taken apart and replace the plastic when taking the prop off the propshaft.
                  at least the one I put on my C40 is that way.
                  remove the key and nut, prop and hub come apart as you take them off the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by chartscharts View Post

Guess I don't know and I'm not sure how I would tell. It's yamaha's shift dampening system I think. But if I really knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't be so grateful for all the help I get on this site.

Google for pictures of "rubber prop hub" and the Yamaha system - then compare to what you've got. Either way, remove the prop - it's a good idea to do this once a year to check things out and re-grease, anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X