F250 Water Pressure Sensor Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 Water Pressure Sensor Failure

I have a 2006 F250 that is in the shop right now. They said the water pressure sensor failed and shot water ur the harness and corroded it. They said they might also have to replace the ECM.

They started to tell me this sensor was recalled on other motors, but not mine. Has anyone else heard of this type of failure and does a recall cover it?

The engine is fresh water only and has on 175h on it.

It was not a recall. Recalls are for safety related items only.

The original sensor was prone to an early failure. Water got across the sensor and could (might) damage the wiring and/or the ECU.

A technical bulletin was issued by Yamaha in 2009 advising dealers as to the availability of a more robust sensor. If and when your motor was in the shop for its annual service the dealer mechanic should have inspected your motor for the presence of the old sensor(s) and replaced them as a preventative measure prior to their failure.

The sensors are an optional component by the way. Yamaha has/had no way of knowing who had the sensors installed and who did not. Thus, there was no way of notifying customers about this matter, even if they had wanted to. It is up to the dealer to be on the look out for problematic issues before they arise. This is just one benefit of using a Yamaha dealer to look after a motor.

Comment

I have been taking it to the same Yamaha certified shop since I bought it. They do my annual every year and did my 100 h service. Should they have caught it?

Comment

If the original sensor was the one that failed then shame on the shop. I live in a glass mechanics house and thus don't like to throw stones.

If the updated sensor was installed and failed, then that falls into the category of sh1t happens.

Let's ask a practicing mechanic. Rodbolt, if and when a motor is in your shop do you inspect it for areas/issues that are known to be problematic?

Comment

Not Rodbolt, but the answer is yes, I pull the serial number on every engine I work on and look for bulletins and problematic areas,

Comment

yes I look for speed/water sensors and all sorts of stuff. have that shop give Yamaha a call.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and advice everyone. Just out of curiosity, Redbolt, what would be a common outcome for this situation?

Thye said it might be an issue that Yamaha could help remedy becasue they have seen it before, but then the shop backpeddled and said I am on the hook 100%. I also got it out of them that it was the old style sensor and it was never replaced.

Thanks all. I have been a huge consumer of Yamaha products in the past (outboard, snowmobile, etc.) but this is situation is starting to give me pause.

Comment

Did they contact Yamaha about you motor and problem or not?

Comment

Yamaha may or may not help. Given the passage of time since the sensor was installed I doubt they will but you never can tell. If the shop is reluctant to call Yamaha you can call their Customer Support group and find out for yourself. Hopefully, you are the original owner in which case Yamaha is a bit more generous with goodwill support. (866) 894-1626.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. The motor is more or less nine years old. That is quite old of a motor to be expecting goodwill help for, even in the case of the sensor.
                  2. The failed part is an optional part and only had a one year warranty in the first place. Technically, the part itself is out of warranty by about 8 years.
                  3. The spare parts warranty under which the sensor was provided specifically excludes consequential damages, which is the type of damage suffered by the wiring harness and the ECU.

Now having said this, and whether or not Yamaha themselves decide to help you, I would talk to the manager of the dealership that has been servicing your motor for the past X number of years. Gently remind him/her that the installation of the original sensor should have been noticed by them a long time ago, before any damage occurred. See if they will sell you the parts at their cost and maybe give you a break on the labor rate to install them.

Oh, and if and when talking to Yamaha see if they just happen to have a surplus F250 wire harness and/or ECU laying around. They sometimes do. And, if so, generally will provide those parts at no charge to you or the dealer. A long shot but worth asking about. Good luck.

Comment

drop a dime, call the Yamaha consumer line.
                    if your dealership doesn't have the balls to call, you have to.

it was a well known, well documented issue.

and find a dealership that employs real trained techs.

and take your frigging motor in for its hourly OR calander maint.

that's the issue with most backyardigans, they don't have access to tech bullitens.

Comment

FYI- I take my boat 30 miles past the rest of the mechanics around my lake every fall to have my annual done by a Certified Yamaha Mechanic/Dealer. I have many talents, but outboard maintainence is not one of them. Def not a "backyardigan". Boat is still in shop. On week 4 now.

Comment

they cannot be the best if they missed a stupidly simple problem.
                        its a visual thing.
                        if the hex on the sensor is the same size as the hex on the sensor holder, you need the updated sensor.
                        see?? I would not even have to run the PID, just look and use the tool on my spinal colum.

but drop that dime, see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                        X