Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 Cyl Head Assy work

Hi,
    First time on here. Took apart my 2001 F100 powerhead and saw that my cylinder head assy has pitting. Almost tossed it but then saw that some people have had machine shops "fix them". Anyone know how much that would cost? Almost bought one on eBay (part# 67F-11110-10-94 with cam assy too) and saw the seller had the same problem (I wondered why it was only $454).

Thanks if anyone knows a benchmark/round about estimate for machine shop to fix it.

V/R
    Elliot

You need to contact the shop near you will be using, labor prices are different in different areas.
    And it depends on what all they will have to be doing

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      You need to contact the shop near you will be using, labor prices are different in different areas.
      And it depends on what all they will have to be doing
      Yep, I figured my question was way too vague. Thought it was worth a shot though. Trying a guy on Monday. Just wondering if anyone had an idea how much an hour a machine shop guy costs. Funny thing is, the one on eBay right now has the exact problem with it and the guy suggested using a machine shop to fix it. If that came under a $1000 (cylinder head assy of his at $454 + machine shop repair) then I'd probably go that route. Otherwise... may have to buy a new motor (new cylinder head assy is around $1400 w/o shipping and the gaskets I'll need to buy).

A guy who knows the machine shop guy I'm going to talk with on Monday said that they guy does this work often and is great at ensuring compression ratio is met. "We shall see".

Comment

call Flagship marine in punta gorda FL.
        talk to Jeff.
        he has welded a few up for us at joe's marine.

Comment

will do! thanks guys. I know most likely I may have to buy a new (used) engine but still just seeing what's possible.

Comment

sent down an F50tlrb head that was beyond welding.
            they epoxied it and surfaced it.
            it lasted about 2 yrs.
            was on old man Bill's crab boat .

Comment

rod, it's alright if you don't want to post the information, but if okay with it, then how much did that cost?

Comment

best I remember about 275.
                just had a set of F350 heads done and they were 725 apiece.

Comment

Update

Alright, well, I wish I would've documented everything done because I got the cylinder head fixed by a great machine shop nearby, had assistance putting it all back together with an old Marine Corps buddy (former LAV & tank mechanic), and was able to get the boat on the water this morning.

CURRENT PROBLEM: Motor used to go 38 mph and now only goes 9 mph

Details (if relevant or not):

-I did tinker with some throttle controls last night. Not much yet I know it doesn't take much. Really, the only screws I touched were the screws on each carb which helped smoothen out my idle (yet I had it in the tank and did not put motor in gear at that time)
                  -This morning it started right up in the water and I let it warm up for about 5-7 minutes.
                  -Headed slowly down river and then proceeded to go "medium speed" (about 20-25 mph). However, boat only got up to about 6 mph (I don't have tactometer working; can't tell you RPMs). Pushed it more and topped out at 9 mph. I could tell that the engine was using much power at all.
                  -Decided to go to neutral, take it out of gear, then give it gas... that's when I heard my RPMs like I used to. Buzzer came on a bit though. So I dropped it back down to neutral, put the boat in gear, and putted around more.

I have the manual but I can't troubleshoot with it too well right now. Hard to follow at times and doesn't identify all parts very well in diagrams.

Last notes:
                  -Spark plugs are new, fully seated, and boots are on good (not nicks in boots)
                  -Oil is still nice and beautiful.
                  -New fuel filter & fuel/water separator
                  -New oil filter
                  -Motor is pissing like normal

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the fact that I stuck with it but just seems to be a little bit more to get it "there".

V/R
                  Elliot

Comment

Compression, spark, and timing all need to be checked to start out with.

Then monitor spark and timing with a timing light to make sure all cylinders are sparking and advancing to spec
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-05-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shamrock f o View Post

CURRENT PROBLEM: Motor used to go 38 mph and now only goes 9 mph

Details (if relevant or not):

-I did tinker with some throttle controls last night. Not much yet I know it doesn't take much. Really, the only screws I touched were the screws on each carb which helped smoothen out my idle (yet I had it in the tank and did not put motor in gear at that time)
                      -This morning it started right up in the water and I let it warm up for about 5-7 minutes.
                      -Headed slowly down river and then proceeded to go "medium speed" (about 20-25 mph). However, boat only got up to about 6 mph (I don't have tactometer working; can't tell you RPMs). Pushed it more and topped out at 9 mph. I could tell that the engine was using much power at all.
                      -Decided to go to neutral, take it out of gear, then give it gas... that's when I heard my RPMs like I used to. Buzzer came on a bit though. So I dropped it back down to neutral, put the boat in gear, and putted around more.

Elliot
                      The above highlighted I don't quite understand.

Is the engine revving up but the boat doesn't accelerate or ??

Is the throttle cable physically opening the carbs fully at WOT?

When did the buzzer come on/ go off, etc?
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

99yam- Rgr. Will start researching. Thanks! Any preferences on timing lights?

Townsend- sorry, meant to say that it "wasn't" putting out much power. I don't have a tachometer (which would help me state RPMs; of course after a local repair place in the past failed to install 2 new tachometers I said the hell with it and wouldn't push the engine full throttle) but when I take the motor out of gear and give it gas then I can tell a huge significance in RPMs than when I put the motor in gear.

Now, I DID mess with some of the screws on some of the carbs late last night (forgot the name of screws but the ones that I think regulate the amount of air/fuel). Later today I looked backed at the manual and tried adjusting them accordingly (all 4; the 3 on the top 3 carbs and the 1 pilot/pivot screw on the bottom carb). Once I did that then I put it in the dunk tank (big trash can w/water), hooked the water hose to the upper unit hose attachment, and ran the engine both in neutral, out of gear with gas, and then in gear with gas... this time around it sounded much better but I'm waking up early to test it out in the water before all the crazies get to the ramp. (I'm sure 99yam is rolling his eyes right now after he just told me not to do anything until testing out compression, spark, and timing... sorry sorry! Won't run it hard at all!)

Guess I'll provide an update after I get back in the morning.

Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!!! Elliot

Comment

you can find inductive timing lights now a days that have RPM monitoring in them.
                          When hooked to the different plug wires it will give RPM so you can compare the sparking of each cylinder too make sure they match up.

If it is not missing, but just has no power then my thoughts would be the timing is not advancing or there is not enough fuel hitting cylinders to create the power needed under load

Comment

I would do a leakdown test to insure everything in the head is sealing.
                            then I would double check my camshaft timing.

then I would go fix the fuel system.

Comment

Well I think you guys are going to think even less of me now... great news though! it's all fixed and running great!

... so here's for the embarrassing part... I put the spark plug cables on the wrong spark plugs (I took pictures before taking apart power head but had already disconnected boots/cables from spark plugs). Spent the past few weekends trying to make tiny adjustments to timing, checking compression, messing with throttle adjustments,... then after 1.5 hours today I happened to notice that the damn cables were numbered (1,2,3,4)... felt like an idiot. I really did not imagine that they would ever criss-cross. Plus I flipped one of the black parts that two cables connect to (sorry, can't remember name of part, but essentially the other end of the spark plug cables).

Put the boat in the water, pushed the throttle and it took off. Never felt awesome and like a dumba** at the exact same time. Ah well. Thanks to you fellas that helped me out. Learned a LOT!

Comment

Working...
                              X