Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 200hp OX66. Alarm Problems

Model is V 200 TLRX

This motor is hooked up to the standard old school analog gauge set. It has 2 trouble lights on the dash, High Temp, and Low oil, and of course the buzzer.
    The buzzer never goes off, even when the ignition key is turned on and the kill switch is pull, not a chirp.
    With the engine running on a flusher I grounded out the pink wire on the high temp sensors, no horn and the high temp trouble light does not come on.
    With the engine running I tripped the Low oil sensor, No horn but the trouble light did illuminate.
    I have checked the high temp trouble light and it does work.
    I have checked the alarm horn and it works as well.
    I know these alarms go through the ECM, with everthing I have checked I keep coming back to the ECM.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I thought the buzzer would sound with the kill switch pulled off and the key turned to start, not just the one position.

I have read some motors have to run for a specific time or something before the over temo would sound, but not sure what you motor requires for those to sound and light

Comment

Originally posted by MarathonRunner45 View Post
      Model is V 200 TLRX

This motor is hooked up to the standard old school analog gauge set. It has 2 trouble lights on the dash, High Temp, and Low oil, and of course the buzzer. What kind of boat? I suspect those lights are not provided by Yamaha. The buzzer should not be part of the lights.
      The buzzer never goes off, even when the ignition key is turned on and the kill switch is pull, not a chirp.
      With the engine running on a flusher I grounded out the pink wire on the high temp sensors, no horn and the high temp trouble light does not come on. How long did you wait?
      With the engine running I tripped the Low oil sensor, No horn but the trouble light did illuminate. What does trip the sensor mean?
      I have checked the high temp trouble light and it does work.
      I have checked the alarm horn and it works as well. How did you test the alarm?
      I know these alarms go through the ECM, with everthing I have checked I keep coming back to the ECM. On a V200TLRX there is no ECM. But there is a CDI assembly.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      On a 23 year motor, for the buzzer, I would check the electrical connections. From the CDI output all the way to the buzzer.

For the lights I would check the trim/oil harness connections from the motor to the lights.

Comment

What kind of control box and key switch?

Comment

Comment

It has the flush mount shifter with the ignition and buzzer/ kill switch assembly mounted on dash, and about that ignition switch I had to change it out last year, the switch would start the engine no problem but when you turned the key to kill the engine it would continue to run, you would have to kind of jiggle the key before the engine would shut down. This about the time I think the horn stopped sounding off momentarily when you turned the key to start the engine for its self-test like it has always done. I am starting to think that the bad switch shorted something in the CDI. I pulled the cover to have a look at the CDI and it has a spot in the center of the box that the silicone has kind of sunken in a little and there is a couple very small pieces of what appears to be solder just barely above the surface. I have when though the wiring pretty well I think.The CDI is around 2000 dollars new. and with no real way to check out that CDI, that is a pretty large gamble on a 22 year old engine. though it is a verry low hour engine in otherwise great condition.
            The CDI Box P/N for this engine is 66X-85540-00-00 Looks to be a hard find used. I have found a couple CDI box's from 225 OX66 P/N 66X-85540-01-00. anyone have any ideas if these box's would be compatible? Thank for the help.
            Kyle

Comment

Also thanks for the schematic, Boscoe99. Do you have the page with the Ballon numbers description? Would be much appreciated!
              Thanks again
              Kyle

Comment

Kyle, I can't offer any direct help to the original questions, but up at the top of the page there's a link to parts breakdowns. Find your model and year and it gives you the info.
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Let us back up one step. Do you have a basic idea as to how the system works? Knowing what is supposed to be doing what, and when, is great for trouble shooting.

Comment

Single engine Yams do not chirp the warning horn when the key is turned to the on position

Comment

Originally posted by MarathonRunner45 View Post
                      Also thanks for the schematic, Boscoe99. Do you have the page with the Ballon numbers description? Would be much appreciated!
                      Thanks again
                      Kyle
                      Your service manual, from which my illustrations were lifted, gives you all of the needed details.

The buzzer is made to sound when the CDI assembly provides a ground to the pink buzzer wire. The buzzer having been provided with battery voltage when the key is turned to the on position.

You can easily test the wiring by disconnecting the CDI assembly and then grounding the pink wire. The buzzer should sound. If not, there is your problem.

Comment

Well I think I know how it works, but I am most likely wrong. LOL. I will start at the beginning. I know Yamahas are not supposed blow an alarm when the key is turned on, but this boat has for well over 21 years. the alarm would come on when you would first tune the key on for a couple seconds and it would just fade out. I know the lights were added by skeeter when the boat was built. I have over the hears tested the high temp alarm by grounding the pink wire at the sensors and the buzzer would sound off and the dash warning light would light up. I have also over the years checked the engine mounted oil tank by lowering the oil level and the buzzer would sound off and the dash warning light would light up. I also would from time to time check my kill switch. pull cord the engine would shut down and the horn would blow.
                        Last summer the engine start switch started acting up it worked fine to start the engine but when you went to shut it down when you turned the switch to the off position you would have to jiggle the key to get the engine to shut off. it was at this time I noticed the alarm was not blowing when the key was turned on. when i noticed this one day I started the engine back up and pulled the kill switch to check it and it worked and the alarm sounded off. So I ordered a new switch assembly. I installed new switch assembly. while I had my boat in my shop I checked low oil and high temp alarms. I lowered the oil level the alarm sounded, and the light came on. Grounded the pink wire at the high temp sensor no alarm or light. started tracing wires looking for bad wires and checking connection. never got it figured out. put boat back in boat house. The next week I blew my right knee up and had to have knee surgery, and the rehab. Now almost a year later thought I would try and have another go at it.

The boat has been used a little over the past year but not a lot.
                        And now when I lowered the oil in the engine mounted oil tank I get nothing. before I did get an alarm and the warning light came.
                        turned the ignition switch on and pulled the kill switch no alarm. put engine on flusher and started pull kill switch it worked but no alarm.
                        And nothing with the high temp when grounding the pink wire.
                        This all started when the switch went bad.

Sorry for the long post.Boscoe99,I just kind of got on a tear. and thank for the help!

Comment

Pulled CDI this morning, Grounded the pink wire going to switch assembly got a horn. So the wire between the CDI and the switch assy is good, bad news is the CDI is not giving up a ground?

Comment

If you have confirmed that the wiring to the CDI is providing the CDI with the warning inputs, and there are no warning outputs from the CDI, then one could surmise that the CDI is at fault.

The -00-00 and the -01-00 CDI's are interchangeable. The -01-00 replaced the -00-00.

Comment

Yes, I checked continuity on both incoming pink wire and they check good. I think when the ignition switch was going bad and I had to jiggle ignition key and hold it tight to one side It may have back feed 12 volts on the pink wire to the CDI. I will update after changing out the CDI. Thanks for the help Boscoe99.

Comment

Working...
                              X