2003 Yamaha T8 tiller shift cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha T8 tiller shift cable.

I have a 2003 Yamaha T8 tiller that I recently serviced. I disconnected the shift cable to remove the lower unit to rebuild the water pump, after I reconnected the shift cable I ended up breaking the cam in the tiller handle that the cable connects to. I got a new part and got the tiller handle put back together. When I have the shift knob in reverse, the prop spins freely and it’s in neutral, when the handle is in neutral and forward, the motor is in gear (which I’m assuming is both forward). I took the lower unit back off and pushed the shift shaft all the way in, it’s in gear, pulled it all the way out and it’s in gear, and is in neutral in the middle. So I manually pushed the shift shaft into reverse, then made sure the handle was in reverse when I reattached the lower unit and have the same exact issue where reverse on handle is neutral. I also tried making adjustments of the coupling that ties the shift shaft in the lower unit to the other side of the rod/cable in the motor. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go next?

thanks in advance for any help!!!
    it’s starting to drive me nuts.

Why was the shift cable disconnected?

Normally only the shift cam assembly is disconnected from the shift rod by loosening a jam nut and unscrewing the coupling nut. With the motor having been put into reverse gear before doing this. Then the lower unit can be removed. Leaving everything as is so as to not disrupt the shift rod.

I would disconnect the shift rod from the shift cam. Then start the motor and let it idle on a flush device. The propeller should be turning in reverse. Ever so slightly pull the shift cam up. The propeller should be in neutral. Maybe just free wheeling with can be stopped with a stick. Then ever so slightly lift up the shift cam. The propeller should be turning in forward.

This will make sure that all is well within the lower unit. If not, you got a bigger problem on your hands.

Comment

Working...
    X