2 stroke low compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke low compression

2 stroke got hot! 40hp Nissan. It bogged down and died. Almost sized up when I tried to restart it. It’s free now. I got 125psi on the top hole and 35 on the bottom. I haven’t pulled the head yet, but looked at both cylinders with a camera. So scoring and piston looks ok, but no metal on the plug or in the cylinder. I was assuming rings but could a head gasket cause that much compression loss. Looking at it with the camera inside the cylinder I can see part of the head gasket missing I think. Any help before I tear into it would be very appreciated. Thanks

It ran ok at low rpm but gets hot and dies after 5 mins of full open on the water. Checked thermostat and it’s working and water is flowing. Not sure what caused it to get hot to begin with. Any and all ideas I’ll be thankful for. I’m new to outboards and this forum. Thanks

Comment

pull the head to see what the gasket looks like.
      if combustion gases are blowing into the cooling water cavities, that would cause a cooling problem

Comment

Thank you 99yam40! I’ll do that. Do you think it’s possible to get that low of compression from a bad head gasket? Im very hopeful it’s just a head gasket.

Comment

I am not sure, but think it is possible
          if that is not the problem then pulling pistons to inspect rings would be my next move

Comment

Peeking thru the exhaust port will show PISTON/RINGS scoring, if any (probable in your case)....

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks guys. I think it was a ring that got stuck from getting hot. I ran it to try to figure out where and why it was getting hot. Faulty thermostat was the culprit. In the process of running it, the compression is now up to 120 again. Fixed but not sure how LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyb1980 View Post
                It ran ok at low rpm but gets hot and dies after 5 mins of full open on the water. Checked thermostat and its working and water is flowing. Not sure what caused it to get hot to begin with. Any and all ideas I’ll be thankful for. I’m new to outboards and this forum. Thanks
                I thought you told us the stat was working

good to hear it is back to normal

Comment

Working...
                X