2005 Yamaha 60 TLRD New Remote Control and Key Switch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha 60 TLRD New Remote Control and Key Switch issues

I bought a new 704 remote control, 704-48205-P1, and key switch, 704-82570-12, and a new 10 pin wiring harness. I also plugged in what appears to be the 6Y5 harness (2 fuses) between the key switch and tach. My boat has the 3 light indicator tach, 250 g model. It was all plug and play, but it doesn't power up or start when I turn the ignition switch. This is true whether the wires for the tach relay are connected or not. Please help!

Forgot to add that the 10 pin wiring harness is this one: 704 Remote Control 5M 688-8258A-50-00 6X3-8258A-00 Main Wiring Harness.

Do I possibly need a different 6XS harness, rather than 6Y5.

By the way, thanks in advance. I got the courage to tackle this job from reading on this great forum.

Comment

I switched the control to the 704 from the 703. All seems right to me. I guess I'll check all connections. Any other ideas?

Comment

So everything was fine with the 703 control,
        now that you swapped that for a 704
        the engine doesn't start and the tach doesn't come on?

The red wire in that "2-fuse 6Y5 harness" should be always hot -
        regardless of the keyswitch position - is it?
        an easy way to check,
        plug the yellow lead of the tach to it - tach should 'turn on'

if not,
        I wonder if you could have somehow created a temporary short
        while you were working and popped the fuse on the engine harness -
        do you know where that is, to check it ?

Comment

Thanks fairdeal. I tried what you suggested, and still nothing. So, I undid the 10 pin that connects to the motor. I had already re-did all other connections. Sure enough, even though the 10 pin was seated well into the motor the first time, it did not have a good connection for some reason. I reseated it, and it works now. Thanks for your help though.

Comment

Glad you found it. Things like this are often something simple like that. I once spent an hour trying to figure out why I wasn't getting power to the key switch before I realized that I had forgotten to hook the battery back up...

Comment

Working...
            X