F70 throttle stuck in forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70 throttle stuck in forward

Hello, I have a F70 outboard with 130 hours on it. It has been getting stuck in forward lately. After I turn off the engine and disconnect the throttle cable I can put throttle lever back into neutral. But, engine still in forward. After it cools or the next day. It will easily move forward, reverse, and neutral freely. Any suggestions
    thanks for your help

Is there oil in the gearcase? can you determine if it's stuck at the motor end, or the control end by disconnecting the cable when it's stuck?

Comment

I’m pulling the boat out of the water tomorrow morning. I will double check the gear case. It just had its 100 hr done by a Yamaha technician. It appears that it’s stuck at the motor side of things. When cables are disconnected, cables and lever move freely. Thanks again for your help. I’ll post what I find once it’s out of the water.

Comment

you mentioned disconnecting the throttle cable, but not the shift cable.
        is this really what you tried?

Comment

Good morning, the boat is out of the water. I checked the lower unit for oil. It’s full. Nothing currently is stuck. But, when it gets stuck in forward. I disconnect both the throttle and shift cables. They move freely. The issue seems to be with the gear shift assembly or maybe lower unit. I have looked several times to see if something is blocking the assembly. Everything appears to be in place. The boat only has 130 hrs on it so we haven’t had much vibrate free yet. I live on remote island and don’t expect a technician to be able to come for a month or so. Thanks again

Comment

when you checked for lube in the lower unit did you remover the top vent plug to make sure it was full?
            Or did you remove the lower drain plug to see if water drained out?

Comment

You can not shift with motor when it is not running it will not come out of gear! If motor is off you have to spin the prop by hand to shift out of gear. You may have twisted the shifting rod.

Comment

Working...
              X