30hp yamaha 2stroke electric conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30hp yamaha 2stroke electric conversion

I've got something interesting I want to try.

I have a Parsun 30HP 2stroke tail without the powerhead. I know this is a Yamaha forum but the parts are similair to the 30hp 2 stroke from yamaha.

I will replace the powerhead with an 10kw electric motor. I want the electric motor to switch direction, not the gearbox. When checking the gearbox in its current setup it has became clear that while forwards is engaged there is some kind of protection and I can't turn the propellor both ways while keeping the gearbox engaged.

When I place it in reverse it does seem to lock. Can anyone tell me if this can damage the gearbox if I lock the lever in reverse? And then set the engine up in such a way that forwards and reverse is con*****ed by switching direction of the electric motor?

I can image that the gearbox was not designed to run 100% of the time in the reverse gear...... Any help is much appreciated! The setup is in a console type boat with a throttle and steeringwheel far away from the engine.

I for one know nothing about what Parson lower unit it and I do not think many others on here would either.

is the gear ration the same in forward and reverse?
    thrust on the prop shaft and bearing in the wrong direction could be a problem

does the prop have the same(proper) bite in forward and reverse to propel the boat?

Seems to me it would be a lot simpler to use the gear box as it was designed and just keep the motor turning clockwise like the power head did
    Last edited by 99yam40; 01-25-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Gearbox input is designed to turn in one direction..clockwise. It was also designed to be in fwd most of time and under high power in fwd for extended periods. Reverse not so much.

I am with Yam40 on this and would keep using the shifting of gears as originally intended from the manufacturer.
      Interesting project..i would like to see some pictures of what you have rigged up.

Goox Luck

Comment

Did you think of just using an electric Actuator? on the shifter under the cowling. uxcell a14092600ux0438 Open Frame Actuator Linear Mini Push Pull Solenoid Electromagnet, DC 4.5V, 40 g/2 mm

Comment

The problem with using the existing gearbox is that it was designed to shift gears while running. I can't run the engine slowly with no load on the shaft. It immediately goes up to 1500 rpm or higher. With the engine in standstill the gear either mesh or not and it is not possible to turn over the engine a little bit without first engaging the gear due to the monolever I am currently using. Thanks for the input that I have recieved. I think I will have to resort to a two lever setup.

Comment

Ok if you want to mess around in the gear box? how about you lock the gear box in forward put a split collar on the shaft to hold it in place. My thinking is the cut of the helical gears would throw it out of gear when trying to reverse so locking it with a split collar in forward should let you use electric motor to switch direction

Comment

Working...
            X