Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no midrange throttle response

Hello from a new member,

I have a 2008 25 HP two stroke(bought new) manual start Yamaha outboard on a 14' aluminium skiff. There is no response to the throttle in the midrange. As the throttle is advanced to full speed, it will stay blubbering in low speed and after about 10-20 seconds, suddenly kick into high speed. Not good for passengers not holding on!
    I have to ease the engine through the midrange by twisting the throttle back and forth for a smoother transition.

A brief history:

- The past two seasons were miserable until I found LOTS of water in the gas and carb bowls. Installed a transom mount water separating fuel filter and the problems went away. I now manage the fuel more carefully.

- This season started out OK until occasioal leaky carbs, hard starting and rough running as in, seemingly one cylinder initially not working, caused me to be towed in.

- Pulled the carbs and dismantled them. No Goo, no sticky floats, no clogged jets. The carbs looked new. The two issues I found were flattened and dried bowl gaskets which I replaced, and a bead of clear liquid(not Goo!), perhaps water, in the jets which were simply blown out. The motor then ran like a dream!!

- The honeymoon lasted about three outings. Depited very easy starting, OK idling and low speed, and a strong and steady 3/4 to full speed, I now have the mid range crisis.

- The fuel pump is the original unit and the clear bowl transom filter/separator filter unit is one season old.

Help! The strippers are biting and I need to be out there!
    Thanks

sound like you need to open up the carbs again and check or replace the filter.
    It can only try to separate so much water
    and you did not say you did anything to drain/clean tank and lines

Comment

Working...
    X