Yamaha F90 TLR Tiller to Steering Wheel Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F90 TLR Tiller to Steering Wheel Conversion

I am looking into purchasing an F90 TLR but it has a tiller handle and my boat has a steering wheel. I am planning to stay with the steering wheel and would like to know if there is a conversion kit to perform this task?

Thanks!

The F90TLR left the factory set up for remote steering. It has been converted to tiller steering.

There is no kit involved to go back to the original configuration. It is just a matter of removing the stuff that was installed for tiller steering.

Comment

GRASSHOPPER, be very, very concerned that changing back to remote control can be Expensive !!!

Comment

I don't see there being any added expense installing an F90TLR that has been converted to a tiller model as opposed to installing an F90TLR straight out of its crate.

Control box, throttle/shift cables, ten pin harness maybe if a 703 control box is not used. Gauges are optional.

Just some effort to remove the tiller handle and its control cables.

Comment

OH MY,,, boscoe you are awesome. Thanks for all u do.. If this has been converted from remote to tiller. There is a lot of major changes that were done. I must be missing something ?? BTW all,don't let your doctor prescribe you ambian for insomnia. Cost me a yr of life... Let's all have a great 2022 safely on the water....

Comment

There is a lot of bits and pieces different on a tiller steer, the lower section under the cowl is different to fit the tiller, all the gear and throttle shift is different, it could be done cheaper by leaving the tiller on, just disconnecting it I guess, somehow the steering arm that fits under the powerhead would need to be fitted to attach the steering cable, check all the parts lists for both options and see the differences.

Comment

Remove the throttle shift cables at the motor.
              Disconnect the electrical connector from the main engine harness.
              Unbolt and remove the tiller handle with electrical harness and cables attached.
              Unbolt and remove the friction lock mechanism.
              Reinstall the steering hook that was removed from the F90TLR.

Add a steering system to the motor.
              Reconnect the steering system link to the motor that was removed from the F90TLR.
              Add a steering wheel to the boat.
              Route the cables or hydraulic hoses from the steering wheel to the steering system on the motor.
              Add a remote control box.
              Route the ten pin harness from the control box to the motor and connect the ten pin connector.
              Route the control cables from the control box to the motor and connect both cable end fittings to the motor.

Drive on.

Comment

Like I said, it can get pricey quix and also the tilt tube (steering) can be wasted from salt water. So I've learned to try my best to presuade my customer from paying me to do those jobs. Opening a can of worms....

Comment

Umm, Bosco the kit your showing is make a remote to tiller. I think he was going the other way ?

Comment

He is going the other way. But there is no kit for that. He just needs to reverse the kit that was done. Which is why I showed him what was done. Easy peasy to undo it and go back to the way it were.

Comment

What are you going to connect the steering end to? The steel arm that always gets rusty is not on a tiller steer model, and fitting one is a big job.

Comment

An F90TLR is not a tiller steer model. It is a remote con*****ed model. To which a tiller handle was added. Bolted to the steering arm that is known to get rusty.

But this may be a freshwater used motor that has no rust.

Just unbolt the taller handle. Reinstall the steering hook to which a remote steering device is connected. The motor will now be in the configuration in which it left the factory. Intended to be used with remote controls and steering.

Where is the OP?

Comment

Working...
                        X