X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C90 trim unit leak

1997 Yamaha C90TLRV

My trim unit is leaking here:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive spanner wrench that will work to remove the trim caps? I found some Yamaha trim unit spanner wrenches online, but they are $60-$70ea. Looks like the trim cap holes are 3/16”(.187”)

Thanks!

I run a C90 and if my tilt/trim cylinder leaked I'd take it to a Yamaha Outboard dealer for new seals....they have the knowledge, experience, tools, correct parts, etc. to do the job....That tilt/trim unit is an expensive unit to risk screwing it up....I love doing things myself, but as Clint Eastwood says, "A man's gotta know his limitations"....

Comment

Thanks Robert. I respect that... but this video makes it look so easy ... Minus the part where he uses a hacksaw

https://youtu.be/85dSg6bLJZk

Comment

Yep, I watched that video and I agree it looks fairly easy....but if that spanner tool is going to cost $75 to start with....it would be bad to buy the tool and then screw the job up and have to pay a pro to finish it....but good luck if you do it, and let us know how it goes!...

Comment

The video looks like instructional rather than a confident repair! He does not show the ram now not leaking under load.
          The advice would be that more cleanliness, and more careful use of tools necessary!!
          Watch the pliers on the ram shaft.

Comment

Working...
          X