Tiller Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiller Extension

Hey gang. I have a 25hp on a 14' fiberglass vhaul. The beam is approx 4'. Need suggestions on where to get a tiller extension. I tried the Ironwood HelmsMate U-joint. No good. It's rated for a *****ing motor...thought I'd give it a try. Problem is you can't steer left or right because the weight of the engine.

I'm a very crafty and handy guy. So I constructed a really cool PVC extension. Problem with that is using a straight PVC pipe, the tiller is straight behind you. You need to have the tiller, in neutral steering, about 1-1.5ft on your left or right.

Please send suggestions. If you're going to reply as "I built an extension from PVC...." then please include instructions and materials, including how you jointed the pipe.

Thanks!!
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

I would think you just need to sit to one side or the other, just like when you sit at the back of boat using the regular tiller handle

Comment

Wish the solution were that easy. As i mentioned, the beam is narrow so any shift of weight off center not only destabilizes boat but also inadvertently steers boat. My hope is to have a tiller extension allowing me to stand center-center. Which means extension coming off tiller handle must deviate right or left. Otherwise extension would be directly behind me.
      Jason

Comment

Even if you find a way to have the extension beside you there is no way for you to steer it well as your body is going to be in the way to swing it from one side to the other
        remote control is in you future me thinks.
        even if you rig up a stick steering system with cables and pulleys
        the throttle and shifter are going to be a problem

Comment

PVC pipe.
          sand the ID as nessasary.
          split it about 5".
          double clamp it.
          problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Even if you find a way to have the extension beside you there is no way for you to steer it well as your body is going to be in the way to swing it from one side to the other
            remote control is in you future me thinks.
            even if you rig up a stick steering system with cables and pulleys
            the throttle and shifter are going to be a problem
            Exactly!! That's one of the problems....I've got to manufacture a tiller allowing me to stand in middle of boat WITHOUT having the steering issue and WITHOUT having my shoulder jacked up by it be torqued backwards to hold tiller. If I sit to the left or right of tiller than the boats trim dramatically changes. It's a very light boat and I'm 175lbs. When I shift weight, so to does the boat. So steering from the middle of the boat is necessary.
            Jason

Comment

steering

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              Exactly!! That's one of the problems....I've got to manufacture a tiller allowing me to stand in middle of boat WITHOUT having the steering issue and WITHOUT having my shoulder jacked up by it be torqued backwards to hold tiller. If I sit to the left or right of tiller than the boats trim dramatically changes. It's a very light boat and I'm 175lbs. When I shift weight, so to does the boat. So steering from the middle of the boat is necessary.
              So lock the engine to steer forward, then control steering by leaning left or right. I would be hesitant to ride in a boat with that much instability!

Comment

Working...
              X