150 HPDI Trim Sender Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 HPDI Trim Sender Installation

First time posting and need a little help please!

I just bought an 09 150 HPDI and I am trying to get the trim gauge working.
    I put the motor on a 1993 18 foot Stratos bass boat, and it has all the original OMC gauges on it, and they all work.
    The motor has the metal version of the "finger" that clamps to the tilt tube. The sender moves the needle on my gauge up when I push it up, so it is working. I cannot figure out how to position the finger so it keeps contact with the lever on the sender though.
    When I trim the motor up, the lever on the sender moves up and away from the finger, and loses contact with it. Nothing looks broken.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

try lubricating or replacing the sender.
    the cam sits in a hole on the steering tube.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      try lubricating or replacing the sender.
      the cam sits in a hole on the steering tube.
      Tell me if this is right.
      When I move the sender arm up with my finger, the needle on my gauge moves up.
      When I position the cam finger so the needle is on the bottom line of my gauge, motor trimmed fully down, and then trim the motor up, the needle goes down because the sender arm lifts up off the cam finger.
      Seems backwards to me.
      I have the white/tan wire in the omc harness connected to the pink wire from the Yamaha sending plug under the cowling.
      I do not have the omc brown/black wire connected to anything, but I read somewhere it is a direct ground for the omc gauge.
      Should I connect the brown/black wire to ground also?

Comment

I think I answered my own question. The OMC trim gauge does not appear to be compatible with the Yamaha sender.
        I looked at a buddy's boat and his needle moves down when I press the sender arm up with my finger. Opposite of mine, which moves up when I press the sender arm up.
        Looked at the resistance values on another website and the omc values are opposite the Yamaha values.
        I have a new trim gauge ordered.

Comment

Working...
        X