V150 Two Stroke Stuck in Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V150 Two Stroke Stuck in Reverse

First, I have a 2006 V150TR. The children were launching the boat for a day of fishing over the holidays. The story I received is that my son went from Fast Idle to Reverse without pausing at Idle position to allow the RPMs to slow down, and now the prop is stuck in reverse. I have done the following, looking for guidance before I drop the lower unit.

I do have the service manual LIT-18616-02-73 (really wish it had more verbiage to go along with the figures)

The power pilot moves fine, throttle works great, but the prop spins in reverse no matter the setting, there is no neutral nor forward.
    Pulled the cowling, the linkage from the control is connected to the arm at the base of the power head.
    The linkage rotates the rod at the base of the power head, everything appears to be fine under the cowling.

Is there a shear pin in the linkage that I'm missing?
    Is there something in the Mid-Unit assembly that I should consider before I drop the Lower Unit?

Based upon the figures in the service manual, either he broke the key off the end of the shift rod, or he sheared the pin in the dog clutch...

Anybody else have a similar problem, and what did you find when you solved it?

drop the lower unit and then operate the shift shaft manually to see if the problem is still there.

I have found a twisted shift shaft and bent pin before, but I thought that was from someone trying to shift while motor was not running, and the clutch dogs were not lined up

the gears are spring loaded into forward, so you have to compress the spring to go to neutral and reverse.
    so to be stuck in reverse I would think there is a problem with the linkage outside or inside the lower unit
    Last edited by 99yam40; 01-07-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Dropped the lower unit, can freely rotate the shifter shaft, prop shaft still stuck in reverse. No matter which way I rotate the shifter shaft (within the same boundary as the top linkage), the prop continues to rotate in the same direction when I turn the drive shaft. Pulled the shfter shaft from the unit, all looks fine. No significant metal pieces in the gear oil....

Guess the problem is with the dog clutch.

Comment

Working...
      X