2005 f40TLR no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 f40TLR no spark

Hello everyone new user here but not new to forums.

Have an airboat and had many a jetskis but this outboard is a first for me. I'm mechanically inclined but this issue has me stumped.

As the title states I have a 2005 Yamaha f40TLR that doesn't have spark to any plug.

I bought the boat from a friend (2006 Sundance skiff) and because he didn't use it much it sat for extended periods. I brought the boat home, tore down the carbs, ultrasonically cleaned them and rejetted to the 45 idle jet and 108 main per online research.

I also flushed the entire fuel system as well as ran new fuel lines/filters.

After carb cleaning the engine fired up immediately so I began the idle tune/sync. During this process after a couple minutes of running I heard a weird rubbing, squealing, grinding ish noise and shut down the engine. (Was hooked up to garden hose and pissing) thought it may not have enough water pressure so turned up the pressure and it was shooting straight out the pisser, fired up and sound was gone. Shortly after firing the warning horn came on so I shut down the engine again. Scratched my head, waited a few minutes and fired it up again this time no issues, started syncing the carbs and the engine died. I can crank to my heart's content and never get anything.

It's getting fuel, there's compression 175psi

I tested the neutral safety switch and it's functioning (turn engine over with button depressed and release, engine stops turning over), I tested the safety switch with a multi meter and it's functioning, I tested the ignition switch with a multi meter and it's functioning. There's a brand new 840 cca battery and she turns over strong

The engine will crank without any spark.

I've replaced the pulsar coil, stator, and plugs. (Since I had the flywheel of I replaced the timing belt as well)

I'm at my whitts end and would appreciate any help. According to the service manual next possible thing is cdi but I'd like someone more versed in outboards to give their opinion.

Thank you for any help and please ask any question about something I may have over looked.
    Last edited by Polbear1; 12-31-2021, 05:01 PM.

measuring the peak voltages into and out of the CDI would be where I would start looking for the no spark problem.
    I have no idea how the squealing/rubbing sound comes into this unless something under the flywheel came loose

Comment

I would like to mention the engine will crank without the safety key in and no buzzer going off.

Comment

Originally posted by Polbear1 View Post
        I would like to mention the engine will crank without the safety key in and no buzzer going off.
        well maybe that noise you heard was the buzzer trying to work, and then it stopped working at all now.

Comment

Working...
        X