JIS Screwdrivers for Yamaha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JIS Screwdrivers for Yamaha?

Do you guys use Japanese Industrial Standard screwdrivers when you remove screws. It appears that Yamaha uses them instead of Phillips. They fit better and I am not sure if they are are more ideal.

You can use a regular Phillips - but you do need to keep more downward pressure on the screw head to prevent slipping. It's not a "night and day" difference, but yes, I do have a JIS screwdriver.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

JIS is worst then whitworth

Comment

I meant to add this on via an "edit", but I can't find the button to do that...

To be clear, YES, the JIS screwdriver DOES fit better into the JIS screwheads. You can certainly get by with a regular Phillips, but you will notice a better fit/grab with a JIS screwdriver. Well, I did, anyways - and to be upfront, I hesitated buying the JIS screwdriver because I initially thought "Nah, it's probably just marketing". But once I looked into the physical differences I realized it woudl be worth a shot to try it - and I'm glad I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
          JIS is worst then whitworth
          How so? Right screwdriver for the right screw...can't be much simpler than that. What does Whitworth threads have to do with it???

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

How so? Right screwdriver for the right screw...can't be much simpler than that. What does Whitworth threads have to do with it???
            The left handed screw drivers are better than the right handed. Merry Xmas

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

The left handed screw drivers are better than the right handed. Merry Xmas
              And, contrary to popular belief, you CAN use a left-handed screwdriver in your right hand!

Comment

Dennis....you are correct. The JIS seems to have a slightly different design and does not cam out like the Phillips. Worked better and I bought a set of them. the Vessel brand has an Impacta version that is solid. Rivals the Snap ON Phillips I use. The JIS also works for my Honda Pilot rotor screws (#3 JIS removes them like a breeze). Guess Japanese OEMs use their own fasteners.

Comment

Working...
                X