Carbs have some gunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs have some gunk

Should I take out all these screws on my carbs? I'm gunna soak them up with carb cleaner and blow some air but not sure if these screws should be pulled? Thanks
    Attached Files

Also should this screw come out also? Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

The first pic, yes, they and underneath (the passages) need to be cleaned..

The second pic, I'm not sure what's under there. I'd pull it and inspect in any case..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes, take them all out, really need to find a sonic cleaner though,

Comment

Yep, completely dismantle the carburetor.

Then, use an ultrasonic cleaner as noted. Heated if possible. I like the Yamaha brand cleaner solution as it works well for me.

You might need to rod out some passageways using a soft copper wire.

Just blowing stuff through an assembled carburetor or just dipping it has never really worked for me.

Comment

I suggest cleaning or replacing all upstream of the outboard too. I went through mine only to have the work undone with the next start due to contaminated gas and junk in the fuel system. Believe me, running the tank dry isn't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post
              I suggest cleaning or replacing all upstream of the outboard too. I went through mine only to have the work undone with the next start due to contaminated gas and junk in the fuel system. Believe me, running the tank dry isn't enough.
              What do you use / procedure for cleaning the tank (especially a built in larger tank)?

__________________________________________________ __________
              Slight de-rail but related..

Also, your opinions of the the three below ultra sonic cleaners? (I think #3 would hold up best reading reviews)..

I'd like something big enough to do the job but not too big.. #2 is twice the size (volume), slightly larger heater, digital controls.. Some thing mostly used for small carbs, an occasional 2 barrel OB engine carb, etc..

#1 Amazon.com - Kendal Commercial Grade 220 Watts 3 Liters Ultrasonic Cleaner HB-23MHT -

#2 much larger and a bigger heater;
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AWW17F3I8GBX9

#3 a combination of both, dials, NOT digital, larger heater and volume;
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AWW17F3I8GBX9

Thanks ahead of time
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-09-2015, 07:20 AM.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                What do you use / procedure for cleaning the tank (especially a built in larger tank)?

__________________________________________________ __________
                Slight de-rail but related..

Also, your opinions of the the three below ultra sonic cleaners? (I think #3 would hold up best reading reviews)..

I'd like something big enough to do the job but not too big.. #2 is twice the size (volume), slightly larger heater, digital controls.. Some thing mostly used for small carbs, an occasional 2 barrel OB engine carb, etc..

#1 Amazon.com - Kendal Commercial Grade 220 Watts 3 Liters Ultrasonic Cleaner HB-23MHT -

#2 much larger and a bigger heater;
                Amazon.com - Kendal Commercial Grade Kendal 6 Liters 380 Watts HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB36 - Jewelry Cleaning And Care Products

#3 a combination of both, dials, NOT digital, larger heater and volume;
                Kendal Commercial Grade 6 Liters 380 Watts HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB-36MHT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thanks ahead of time
                Sorry, I relaced our 27 gal top side with a 12. We don't typically go through that and always pass a gas station on the way to the ramp. I suggest pricing cleaning vs new and determining what is required to remove youe tank.

Comment

cleaning out tank

Originally posted by throrope View Post
                  Sorry, I relaced our 27 gal top side with a 12. We don't typically go through that and always pass a gas station on the way to the ramp. I suggest pricing cleaning vs new and determining what is required to remove youe tank.
                  I was once told to take the boat down past the equator into the southern hemisphere to empty the tank. Should work a treat, that way the boat will be upside down and easy to drain!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                    I was once told to take the boat down past the equator into the southern hemisphere to empty the tank. Should work a treat, that way the boat will be upside down and easy to drain!
                    LMAO,

Thanks thorope also for your response!
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X