Pick Up Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Timing

What exactly does the term "pick up" timing mean?

I thought I was pretty well schooled in ignition timing but the use of the words "pick up" leave me at a loss.

It seems peculiar to Yamaha. There is no mention of this term in the CDI Electronics handbook or a Mercury Service Manual that I have. What would it be called by Mercury, Honda, BRP, Suzuki, Ford, GM, etc.?

Possibly pulsar coil.triggers cdi when to fire..just guess.

Comment

I have always thought it to be when the throttle hits the cam/linkage to start advancing the timing. throttle movement before the roller makes contact does not advance timing at all
      But I will admit I know very little about it

Comment

It's Jenglish for Base timing and WOT timing, on the models where timing is adjustable, there is a pointer on the top of the arm and the under side of the flywheel, you can set it engine off,

Comment

Base/idle timing and WOT timing I understand.

But then in some models Yamaha specifies idle, pick up and WOT timing. See example below.

And I am wondering where the term "pick up" comes from. 99yam40 might be on to something.

Comment

Sometimes the spark is advanced a small amount before the throttle cam contacts the throttle roller and begins to open the throttle valves.
            Pick up timing is measured at the point the throttle cam touches the throttle roller and begins to open the throttle.
            Last edited by greasyshaft; 07-07-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

its the ign timing when the accelerator cam picks up the throttle roller.

that's also why some other makes specify a particular gap between the accelerator cam and the throttle roller.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I have always thought it to be when the throttle hits the cam/linkage to start advancing the timing. throttle movement before the roller makes contact does not advance timing at all
                But I will admit I know very little about it

well see what working off of memory does for some of us older folks.
                I did not remember the cam and linkage to CDI was moving before the roller touched and moved the throttle plates. Opposite what I was thinking without looking at the set up again.

But I was kind of close (maybe)

Comment

Working...
                X