What engine have I got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What engine have I got?

Hi-have just put a deposit down on a package that im picking up in a month or so- What engine displacement do I have? It's a 2011 boat package- Yam F250 AETX s/n 6CG-100163****.
    I want to get a service manual ordered.
    Thanks

Seems you are missing a letter and some numbers.

The primary ID would typically be something like 6CG X and then seven numbers.

Where are you located? The F250AETX models were and are not offered here in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Seems you are missing a letter and some numbers.

The primary ID would typically be something like 6CG X and then seven numbers.

Where are you located? The F250AETX models were and are not offered here in the USA.
      Did not want to put my full serial number on! Over in the UK- Im only asking as the 6 CG X seems to point to a 2012 larger displacement engine.

Comment

6CG points to a digitally con*****ed 4.2 liter F250. Equivalent to a USA model F250XCA. Known here as an "Offshore" model.

The 3.3 liter F250 has a 6P2 prefix.

A serial number starting with 1001 tends to indicate a 2011 production year motor. There should be a decal on the motor with the month and year of production.

Comment

Your local Yamaha dealer should know exactly what service manual is applicable to your specific motor.

Comment

why afraid of posting the serial number?
            maybe someone will recognize it as stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              why afraid of posting the serial number?
              maybe someone will recognize it as stolen?
              I'm new here and not sure whether it's the done thing to give out full serial numbers-certainly would not give my car vin or reg out on the car forums!
              Sad that the first thing you think is somebody has stolen something-sorry, I'm not from your world of being that suspicious of everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                6CG points to a digitally con*****ed 4.2 liter F250. Equivalent to a USA model F250XCA. Known here as an "Offshore" model.

The 3.3 liter F250 has a 6P2 prefix.

A serial number starting with 1001 tends to indicate a 2011 production year motor. There should be a decal on the motor with the month and year of production.

Thanks for that !-much appreciated.
                I know I can find out everything when the unit turns up from the dealer beginning of February and I can read the data plate properly!
                It's just I'm curious to know what engine I have bought while waiting. As for now, I've only got the purchase receipt with basic details on it!
                It's just the receipt shows a 2011 boat package, and my basic research shows the larger displacement engine was introduced in 2012-hence the confusion.
                Basically, I'm curious as to whether I've got a 3.3 or 4.2, and it looks like its the 4.2!

Comment

If it has a 6CG prefix it is definitely the bigger block 4.2 liter model.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I'm new here and not sure whether it's the done thing to give out full serial numbers-certainly would not give my car vin or reg out on the car forums!
                    Sad that the first thing you think is somebody has stolen something-sorry, I'm not from your world of being that suspicious of everybody!
                    Just never heard of someone not wanting to give out a serial # for a motor before,
                    I do not see how someone could use that to do something to you.

lots of stollen Yamaha motors and parts get sent out of county here, Florida and around that area and I believe in Europe also.
                    it was the reason for YCop from what I understand

Comment

Ycop enhanced the availability of stolen spare parts. Everything but the ECU is still available for use.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Just never heard of someone not wanting to give out a serial # for a motor before,
                        I do not see how someone could use that to do something to you.

lots of stollen Yamaha motors and parts get sent out of county here, Florida and around that area and I believe in Europe also.
                        it was the reason for YCop from what I understand
                        No, they could not use my serial number to get at me in any way, but for all I know, you might have a stolen version of my engine and want my serial number to order parts!
                        Anyway, thank you boscoe99 for all you help- I'll just sit tight until the boat gets delivered to check info before ordering the shop manual.
                        I think I'm happy I've got the larger displacement-unless somebody now pipes up and says the smaller 3.3 is a better engine! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X