704 Dual station wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 704 Dual station wiring

So i'm working on a boat that way to many people have had their hands on.

It was taken to a shop for not shifting, and they rigged the lower station shift dirrect to the engine, bypassing the junction boxes. Upper and lower station throttles go through the junction boxes.

The port engine alarm was cut at the helm. I connected this. The alarm is, well, alarming. All the oil level sensors, and thermo switches are testing fine. So I assume the alarm is coming from one of the junction boxes. Also, the motor tops out at 2000ish RPMs under load, which i assume is a resukt of the alarm.

I'm assuming the junction box sends signal to the ECM, sounding the alarm, and limiting speed. Since the shift is currently bypassing the juction boxes, is there a way to kill the alarm? I'm looking for a short term solution here, that doesnt involve new juntion boxes, and new cables. SInce somone put new longer cables into get all the way from the helm to the motor.

The guy is planning to repower in a year or so, but its not in todays budget. Everything would be DTS at that point.

I do have a copy of the yamaha rigging manual for these gems, but it deosnt go into that level of detail. My understanding is if i unplug them, they will alarm. Is it possible to interupt the wire from the junction box that tells the ECM to alarm, and to limit power? If so which wire would this be?

Working...
X