Losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing power

2006 f250 225 hours. Starts and idles fine. Gets on plane for about 20-30 seconds and starts to sputter and lose power. Back it down to an idle for a minute or so and it will run back up even to WOT but dies off again. Filters are fresh. I even pulled the fuel water separator and cut it open and it looked pristine. While we were troubleshooting on the water I removed the cowling and ran it up. The primary filter assembly stayed full of fuel so there does not seem to be an issue of getting enough fuel. Any ideas?

lots of other filters to plug up

Comment

if it will run fine with the hood off then find the air restriction in the hood or the ex gas leak.

Comment

I am not sure he was saying it ran fine with cowling off, just that filter stayed full.

But I have been wrong a few times in my life of what I understand others to be trying to say

Comment

Motor still ran the same with cowling off. Just wanted to see if it was starving for fuel. Doesn't seem to be since the filter stayed full.

Comment

monitor fuel pressures to see which drops
            Sounds like fuel loss to me also

Comment

Primer bulb does not flatten out. That was the first thing I checked as I just fixed this on a friends boat. If there was a restriction I would expect the primary filter on the motor to run dry which it never did. I guess it's possible there could be a restriction after this filter but I'm still leaning towards bad fuel. I am going to try a remote tank like you suggested.

Comment

you never said what filters you replaced , you may have missed some

Comment

did you inspect/change the VST prefilter?
                  you have to remove the port intake to access it.

while its off you may as well clean the VST tank and filter.

Comment

The fuel water separator and primary filters are new. I have been running the standard Yamaha spin on filter but will be swapping in a racor this weekend. I like the fact that I will be able to see if there is water in the fuel filter. I first suspected water in the filter but this was not the case. I had s similar problem last year. Ran fine at cruising RPM but hesitated at WOT. After about an hour it ran fine and didn't have any more issues until now. This time it's worst as I can't even run at cruising speed.
                    I have not check the VST filters.

Comment

as I said before you have lots of filters to be looking into, even the injectors have filters/screens after all the others it runs through.
                      pressure testing could show where the restrictions are

Comment

I plan on tearing into it this weekend. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all your advise!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          as I said before you have lots of filters to be looking into, even the injectors have filters/screens after all the others it runs through.
                          pressure testing could show where the restrictions are
                          Modern times, more complex engines, more dependence on correct fuel flow and on cleaner fuel, leading to clogging and restriction, leading to engine not working!

My mate's new boat took six month's to sort out why it did not work properly, involving coast guard tows and visits to dealer. He did not enjoy boat ownership at all. He also snapped his achillis when he angrily jumped off his boat for the fifth time at the dealer.

Finally they found a kinked fuel hose due to their poor installation. He is still too scared to go out in his boat in case another alarm goes off again!
                          Boating was supposed to be fun!! Good luck.

Comment

fixing outboards 8 days a week

DONNIE>>>I have been running the standard Yamaha spin on filter but will be swapping in a racor this weekend. I like the fact that I will be able to see if there is water in the fuel filter.,,,, Capt "K" Baja reply....Been gone for a while and just ckd a few threads and this one won my simple reply !! Do NOT use a clear plastic bottom RACOR on a outboard !! NO,,NO,,NO,,the UV'S will eat it up and leave you stranded,,,,The Reason that all outboard F/W filters are like a oil filter is that it live's in the sun/salt..the unit you thinking about using is for a inboard,,,Racor's (Parker) are great !! but that unit is not for a outboard....Read the fine print..or ask a expert !! ....
                            Last edited by bajakeith; 07-12-2015, 02:23 AM.

Comment

actually for inboard use in the engine compartment the plastic bowl is against USCG and a few other industry regulations.
                              I see plastic bowls above deck all the time.
                              yes eventually the sun will get the plastic but it takes years.

Comment

Working...
                              X