Trim Suggestion for 25hp '14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Suggestion for 25hp '14

Hey gang. Finally got my '93 25hp 2 stroke up and running (manual tilt). I have this engine on a '14 fiberglass v-haul jon boat. I couldn't find the manual trim "sweet spot".

I tried the bottom 3 trim rod positions. When trim rod was in the lowest position (max trim "in"), once boat got on a plane it started digging in. Too much hull in the water. The next trim rod position up caused the dolphin effect. The sweet spot would be in between these two positions, I reckon.

Suggestions welcomed.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Move some weight around is your only chance or put a tail on the motor.
    My boat came with one, I took it off to try it.
    Had to get my brother on the front end to keep it down.
    ended up putting it back on

Comment

Or,

CMC PT-35 Tilt and Trim for up to 35 HP | CMC Marine

Comment

forgot to say mine has T&T but even in the low setting it still needed weight in the front or wedges on transom for some reason without the tail
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-06-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Yah I'll have to move some weight around. I also spoke to friend of a friend who is yamaha mechanic. He suggested I mount the engine so that the anti-cavitation plate is approx. 1/2 inch above the bottom of the transom line. I'll give that a try and also move weight around boat.

Any of you have experience a stabilizer? I hear they work good smaller engines/boats?

Thanks!
          Jason

Comment

might explain what you mean by stabilizer.
            Possible a tail like I mentioned
            Whaletail, Dophin,etc
            Last edited by 99yam40; 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Yes. I used the technical term "stabilizer" just in case. But I refer to ii same as you....dolphin.
              Jason

Comment

That same mechanic also suggested moving my fuel tank (6 gal) to bow. But i really don't want to do that...only as a last resort.
                Jason

Comment

I call it a hydrofoil. I have used them with great success. Lots of bang for the buck.

Some folks hate them. I don't know why.

If they work, fine. If they don't work, don't use it. But you have to try one to find out if it works for you or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X