Yamaha 130 Remote Oil Tank Level on Multi Function Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130 Remote Oil Tank Level on Multi Function Guage

I recently had a 2001 Yamaha 130 rebuilt and we decided to disconnect the oil injection. I would like to remove the remote oil tank from the boat, but in doing so my multi function gauge will read no oil. Is it possible to jump a wire to "trick" the gauge into reading full oil? The remote oil tank takes up quite a large area in my Hewes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bad decision. To remove the oil injection system.

Was the oil pump control unit removed when whatever else was done to stop using the oil injection system?

I hope that whomever rebuilt the motor was not the same as the one that decided to make the unwise decision to delete the oil injection. If so, that would give me concern as to his rebuilding skills.

Comment

I had a very reputable shop do the rebuild. Took the shaft out of the pump, replaced the pump and secured the pony tank/main tank float to the up position. My goal would be to remove the remote tank.

Comment

look in your service manual at the wiring diagram, that should tell you what you need to know.
        but as Boscoe said why remove a very good oiling system.
        all you need to do is keep the oil tanks clean and the alarm system in good working order

Comment

If you remove the remote tank you will need to jumper the black wire to the black/red wire. In the connector that is on the main engine harness. This will turn on the green light on your tachometer and cause the yellow light not to be turned on.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

just a word of caution on removing the oil injection system... if a carb gets dirty or jet gets clogged...no oil to that cylinder...at least with an oil injection system it will still pump oil into it even with a clogged jet.. Seen a motor destroyed because of this exact situation...one jet got clogged and no oil got to that cylinder...

Comment

Excellent points.

Comment

Yes might be good points, but clogged jet also leads to little fuel and that cylinder has a lean burn and heats up and can destroy the piston etc.
                  Also an engine can run quite some time before the oil gets purged out, certainly for a considerable time without damage and a lot of time that the operator will notice a difference in the running of the engine with one less cylinder providing power.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                    Yes might be good points, but clogged jet also leads to little fuel and that cylinder has a lean burn and heats up and can destroy the piston etc.
                    Also an engine can run quite some time before the oil gets purged out, certainly for a considerable time without damage and a lot of time that the operator will notice a difference in the running of the engine with one less cylinder providing power.
                    One would certainly think so. But...

Many have been known to drive around with their warning horn blaring.

Reminds of an old funny. Pilot was about to land and forgot to put his gear down. Warning horn blaring. After he landed gear up, and it got very quiet, the control tower talked to him over the radio. Told him they they warned him several times to put the gear down. He said that he could not hear them because of the warning horn.
                    Last edited by boscoe99; 12-07-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

agreed, there are a lot of people that keep on running a motor just to see if it will magically get better
                      you read it all the time on here
                      not to mention the ones calling the RPM reduction and horn sounding due to overheat or low oil the safe mode
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-07-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

All good points; however, I listened to the motor builder and disconnected and wanting to shed some dead weight in the boat. It is interesting that all of our two strokes are still being sold around the world from 2hp to 200hp V6s without oil injection. Yamaha even names these outboards Enduro.

Comment

Probably cost savings and exported to countries where they are not too fussy about emission control and pollution.

Yes human behaviour, added to that sick engines often are also rev’d well past their redline in an endeavour to “fix” them.

And noise is a huge distraction, to the point that one cannot focus even when you know something is not right. Well known, yet manufacturers and regulators insist adding more noise wherever they can. Always annoys me how work sites make everyone wear hearing protection and then for example, increase warning system sound such as reversing beepers, which then affect a whole lot of more people over a much greater area.

Comment

Enduros have much larger jets than the average Yamaha. They will drink swill without missing a beat.

Comment

Working...
                            X