2006 f20esh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 f20esh

I have a 2006 yamaha f20esh 4 stroke and i just replaced the carburetor (the other one was so dirty it was past cleaning it) and fuel pump and fuel filter. i also got a new gas tank and hoses just to make sure everything was clean. If i let the motor sit for a little while it will fire up and idle then it will shut off and when it does it will only start again if i have the throttle up but once i go back to idle it will cut off and it takes a little bit to get it started again. When it is running and the the throttle is up it will make like a popping noise. Im not sure what it could be. Please help.

my guess is the new carb needs to be adjusted properly
    but having to open the throttle adding extra air means it is getting too much fuel some how
    either the cold start system is not doing its job or it is set up wrong
    maybe the prime start is not closing off the extra fuel after the motor warms up
    check to see if it is getting voltage to it while motor is running
    Last edited by 99yam40; 12-01-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I took the carburetor back off and noticed there is a little tear in the gasket but its not torn all the way through. Would that cause that much of a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Drepoole View Post
        I took the carburetor back off and noticed there is a little tear in the gasket but its not torn all the way through. Would that cause that much of a problem?
        If air is getting past it, yes it's an issue. That would cause the fuel mixture to be lean (and be the cause of your "popping"

If you spray some starting fluid, brake cleaner, etc around that area when running, if leaking, the engine will run differently..
        (You'd be sucking in extra "fuel"(brake cleaner) indicating a leak
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

but he says he has to open the throttle to restart the motor, so he has to add more air to get it to start and run

Comment

Still having problems with it but i notcied that if i hold my hand over the intake it will stay running. I have taken the whole carb back apart and noticed the o ring on the fuel/air mixture screw was broke so i replaced that and it is still doing the same thing. I took the carb back apart and made sure all the jets and holes and everything were clear of debris and it was. Could it be the fuel pump?

Comment

You said you have replaced the fuel pump. Was it OEM or aftermarket? Can't hurt to take apart the fuel pump and have a look for the few minutes it takes to do. Are you sure prime start thermo valve is working?

Comment

Also have you tried pumping the primer bulb when the engine is acting up?

Comment

Working...
                X