1992 Yamaha 115 Trim Sender and Gauge Wiring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Yamaha 115 Trim Sender and Gauge Wiring Help

I'm a newbie to this forum and hope one of you experts can help me with an issue I'm having.

I purchased a bass boat a few weeks ago and the trim gauge was not working. I purchased a new gauge that was for the engine model and year and hooked it up. The gauge stays in the full up position so I thought there was a problem with the trim sender. After locating the sender and tracing the wires I realized that it's not hooked up to anything! I unwrapped the wiring bundle to see if the bullet connectors or a wire harness were wrapped in it but there's nothing there. Only connector is a blue wire with a bullet connector that comes off the black box on the engine that has all the wires with the colors to connect them written on it.

I tested the trim sender and the ohms rating does change when I depress or raise the arm on the sender so I'm pretty sure it's fine.

The issue I'm having is what the wires are for on the sender and how to hook them up to the gauge. I'll run new wires but I don't want to mess anything up while I'm doing the work. I can't find anything in this or other forums other than people trying to use the new gauges with the old sender or the sender having 4 wires but mine has 3. One pink, one black, one orange.

Any idea what the wires are for and where to hook them up on the gauge?

I have attached photos of the rear of the gauge and the bullet connections on the sender. Any help is appreciated.

Unless I’m mistaken, that appears to be the back of a fuel gauge. Yet your post says trim gauge and trim sender. So are we talking about the fuel gauge not working or the engine trim/tilt gauge not working? Analog fuel gauges do not have pig tails, they have the terminal ends like the back of that fuel gauge. Round yam tach gauge has the digital trim readout and it does have pig tails.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Orange is for 5 volts to the trim sender. Pink is for voltage from the sender. Black is for ground.

Does you trim gauge have three wire terminals for connection to the sender?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
        Unless I’m mistaken, that appears to be the back of a fuel gauge. Yet your post says trim gauge and trim sender. So are we talking about the fuel gauge not working or the engine trim/tilt gauge not working? Analog fuel gauges do not have pig tails, they have the terminal ends like the back of that fuel gauge. Round yam tach gauge has the digital trim readout and it does have pig tails.
        Careful now.

Comment

Working...
        X