Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70BETO6H3 - Trim & Tilt Stuck, mangled release valve. Fix & engine ID help req'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70BETO6H3 - Trim & Tilt Stuck, mangled release valve. Fix & engine ID help req'd

Hey all

There are a few previous posts on this but I am struggling to work out exactly which part no. I need and what my options are for valve removal and fixing my now stuck trim / tilt.

I live North West of Mordor and North (and slightly East) of Rohan for those familiar with New Zealand.

I recently acquired a part built boat with a Yamaha 70hp, that the guy building the boat got from who knows where. The motor looks to have had a very interesting past with different parts looking to have had various amounts of care and may even be a rebuild using other engines.

I pulled what was there of the boat apart to put a new transom on, and am now in the process of putting it all together again and adding: floor, seats, controls, everything else etc etc.

For reference: trim / tilt was mostly working (noisy and a bit hit and miss on speed though) - directly after I put the engine on the transom, and I did manage to briefly get it going up and down after rewiring the control unit.

I then tilted it up so I could get to the reservoir filler - Hey presto, motor now stuck in up position.

My guess is that I have air locked the trim tilt, however when trying to use the manual release valve I now find that it has been utterly mangled and has no head.

Question 1 - Is there another way of releasing the air lock if the valve is not operational? Opening the reservoir plug and filling with fluid Plus leaving overnight hasn't allowed it to drop.

Question 2 - Which way / ways should I try to remove the valve? The valve is on the right hand / starboard side, and the casting marks are: Counter clockwise = Power Tilt, Clockwise = Manual Tilt. Does this mean it is a left hand thread and I remove it by turning clockwise?

Question 3 - Engine Plate shows: 70BET0 6H3 L 455161 - Which doesn't appear on the Boats.Net parts page - Any ideas what year it is and therefore, what valve I need?

Thanks in advance

New Owner Old Boat

In case it wasn't obvious, I don't really know what I'm doing but I am happy to give it a go
Working...
X