Common failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common failure?

First off thanks to all who have contributed to this Forum. I have learned a lot over the last few days and not just about my issue.

Outboard: 2005 F115TXRD

About a week ago, when I tried to crank the Engine... Alarm sounded and it wouldn't start. I checked continuity of the stop lanyard at the connector. The lanyard switch seemed to be working fine. With lanyard in it shows open circuit at the connectors. I pull the lanyard and verified a short between the two leads.

So I ordered a YDS for further info.

The tool threw a Stop Lanyard Switch On code. So went back and isolated the ignition switch from the main connector and then checked the continuity on the ignition switch side of the lanyard and confirmed a resistive short of 9 Ohms. There are no visible problems in the wiring up to the ignition switch housing. So the problem looks internal to the ignition switch.
    Is that a defect that you guys have seen before? Moisture intrusion maybe?

Anyway, it looks like this is the replacement ignition switch I need?
    Switch, Ignition, Yamaha

Is there an OEM part you guys would strongly recommend instead?

Also, I am totally amenable to by-passing the ignition switch if it is doable, and someone could give me direction. I never wear the lanyard anyway.

Thanks again
    -Adam

Kind of hard to by-pass the ignition switch. It is needed to power the ignition system, engage the starter and to stop the motor from running.

The kill switch is a separate device. It can be rendered inoperable. Simply disconnect either the black wire or white wire that is connected to it.

The same wire that stops the motor from running when you turn the key off is the same wire used in the kill switch.

Regarding a replacement switch we need to know what you have in the boat. Might be integrated with a control box or it could be on a separate switch panel, with or without a kill switch on the panel.

I would recommend a Yamaha brand so that it will be plug and play.

All components are subject to failure. Switch failures are not common but not unheard of either.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 07-03-2015, 08:50 AM.

Comment

There's a black rubber grommet where you put the ignition key that is prone to crack/deteriorate with sun/uv/age......it's there to keep water out of the ignition switch....maybe yours failed and water got in it?....

Comment

Working...
      X