Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak from oil drain plug

2006 F90TLR.

Initially, I cleaned the oil drain plug and surrounding area of any oil before putting in new oil.

I installed a new crush washer (yama part).

The spec says to tighten to 20 ft-lbs. I checked after an overnight and there was some oil residue. I re-tighten to 25 and after an overnight there still some residue.

I don't want to strip the plug so am reluctant to tighten >25 ft-#.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Retorque to spec. Run it for awhile and check again. Hoping you got that bolt started straight. Steel bolt going into aluminum casing. Further tightening is not worth the risk. May just be residue from draining.

Comment

I am about to do mine so I am following the thread with interest. My european spec is 9nm. I have even bought a new '1/4' torque wrench that can go to low torques to make sure I get it right...

Interestingly on my old evinrude I just got a big long flat head screwdriver and just tightened it up as hard as I coudl by hand (which will have been really tight much more than the spec) and I didn't even change the washer and I never had any trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Melville View Post
        I am about to do mine so I am following the thread with interest. My european spec is 9nm. I have even bought a new '1/4' torque wrench that can go to low torques to make sure I get it right...

Interestingly on my old evinrude I just got a big long flat head screwdriver and just tightened it up as hard as I coudl by hand (which will have been really tight much more than the spec) and I didn't even change the washer and I never had any trouble...
        I am fairly sure the op was referring to 4 stroke engine oil versus lower unit oil. No sense in killing that screw either.

Comment

Not sure why engine oil drain plugs went to crush washers but I have observed they are only a single use item and if reused, or bolt is slackened off, they profusely leak!
          However this does not appear to be the reason for the leak as the OP used a new one.
          I would undo that bolt and look at that washer and where it seats. If the seat is perfectly clean reinstall with a NEW crush washer.

Comment

Do yourself a huge favor and use an extractor. Leve the bolt alone. The dealers all use oil extractors and it is recommended in your manual. I put 1.7L in and always get 1.7L out. Checked the pan with an inspection camera and it gets the oil out. These bolts may strip when removing them. Cleaner deal and very fast if you use a good extractor. I use the Pella 650.

Comment

Jabsco works the best
              Last edited by Keithbaja; 12-23-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X