Control question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control question

I recently purchased a 40 hp 1999 Yahama outboard with controls. The motor was not in a boat but was connected to the control wires so I could and did see it run with earmuffs on.
    Now that it is mounted on my boat I discovered and interesting problem. The throttle control is backward. In other words when the lever is raise so it is adjacent to the gear shift handle the motor is at idle and when it is lowered so as to be parallel with the bottom of the boat it is at the fast position. I am sure I have the correct cables on the right levers.
    Could it be that I have the wrong controls for this motor, it is a yahama control.
    Last edited by Hewittfarm; 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM.

Yam control boxes have but one handle for both shift and throttle. Sounds to me like you have a non-Yamaha control box with separate shift and throttle handle.

Some folks do use non-Yamaha controls. You need to contact the manufacturer of whoever made your control box.

Comment

Control

The control box says yamaha on it? Also the motor has two connection points on the side, one for the shift the other for the throttle.
      Last edited by Hewittfarm; 06-30-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

You talk about a lever and you talk about the gear shift handle.

The gear shift handle is also the throttle. The first X degrees of handle movement does the shifting. X plus more degrees of handle movement throttles the motor.

Now when you mention a lever I am now guessing that maybe you have a side mount 701 or 704 control box. There is a lever that can be raised but it is for fast idling the motor only. Why are messing with the lever? It is rarely needed or used.

The control box can either push the throttle cable to open the throttle or it can pull the throttle cable to throttle the motor. Forget all about the lever. What is happening when you push the throttle/shift handle forward? Does the throttle cable go out or in?

Comment

Those boxes can be switched from push to go and pull to go by changing a cam in the box.Do an internet search on it and it will explain in detail.

Comment

If you find out that you need to convert your 703 control box from push to pull or vice versa here is a link showing information about the modification and the needed part.

Yamaha 703 Control- converting pull to push

Comment

Working...
            X