Yamaha 9.9 not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 not starting

Hello, My problem is similar to the one someone posted on a couple days ago.But not exactly.

I have a 1984 9.9 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It sat for a couple years. I pulled it back out to sell the boat. It would only fire up with a short shot of starting fluid. After that, it runs great. I flushed out the tank and put in new ethanol free gas. Still wont start without ether. Brought it to the marina. They rebuilt the carb and sent me home with it. Same problem,. They tell me it ran fine for them, so it must be my tank of line. So I replaced both. Same problem I brought it in for.

If I go to start it, I need to give it a shot of ether. Then it will run fine. I can turn it off, and it will start normally. If it sits longer than an hour, then we are back to the starting fluid.

I'd rather not wait a few more weeks to bring it back to someone that already failed at fixing my problem.

Any ideas? Thank you

Can you post the complete model # on the motor bracket?
    I did not know they even built a 4 stroke 9.9 back in 84

they list F9.9s in 85 though
    Does it have a choke?
    manual or electric?

Comment

I apologize. I thought I canned for typos, and apparently I missed it. It is a 1988.
      The model is FT9.9ELG

No choke though.

thank you

Comment

I am not familiar with that motor, but if no choke and I do not see what is suppose to enrich for cold starts. I do not see anything like the prime start system like on my C40TLRX

Could it be it has a accelerator pump like the older car carbs and you can pump the throttle a couple of time after pumping the primer bulb till it is firm to get some extra fuel into the throat of carb

Comment

Where are you located?

That 4 stroke does NOT exist in the US (looking thru the purchase parts fisch above).

All 9.9's were two strokes(in the US at least).

__________________________________________________ _________________
          Can you post a couple of pic's of the carb with the air cover off?

With the air cover off, do you see a separate butterfly on the carb (NOT the throttle butterfly).. They would be located close to the air cover. If you look into the carb, you'd see the throttle plate..

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Here's a newer 9.9 with an electric built in choke(part # 23, NO butterfly);

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html

**BTW, it sounds like they just re-checked the starting issue while the engine was warm. It was never checked dead cold. .
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X