Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to confirm all water is drained from my outboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to confirm all water is drained from my outboard?

I have a 2020 115 Yamaha, and during the winter months I will not be storing my boat in a heated building. Sense I live in an area where temps drop below freezing, I want to make sure that all water is drained from my outboard. What tips (if any) are there to confirm all water is drain from my engine?

The dealer said I should start the engine for a couple of minutes without cooling water connected, but I do not fell comfortable doing this as I do not want to damage the water pump.

Thanks

That seems like an odd thing for a dealer to recommend. I wonder if there wasn't a misunderstanding somewhere.

However, OB's drain fully when vertical. I have personally never done anything extra - nor has the place where I work - nor do I know of anyone on any forum that has done more for an engine like yours. However, if you want to do something extra, you could run non-tox antifreeze through it. A gallon or two should be plenty. Make sure you use the kind with propylene glycol. Pouring it in through the t-stat housings may work, too.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      That seems like an odd thing for a dealer to recommend. I wonder if there wasn't a misunderstanding somewhere.

However, OB's drain fully when vertical. I have personally never done anything extra - nor has the place where I work - nor do I know of anyone on any forum that has done more for an engine like yours. However, if you want to do something extra, you could run non-tox antifreeze through it. A gallon or two should be plenty. Make sure you use the kind with propylene glycol. Pouring it in through the t-stat housings may work, too.
      Thanks for your help!

Comment

Never ever run a motor without water being provided to it.

Best that you can do is to tilt the motor fully up and then turn the motor lock to lock then back to center. Then lower the motor back to the vertical position.

Comment

Working...
        X