Yamaha Pro 50, ironing out the kinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do that, which should be ok.

But the longer you run the RF, the better. You should feel some difference in a tank, it may take 2-3 tank (depending on the size of your tank).

Once the system is fully cleaned and adjusted, I'd keep using it, just at a lower dosage as it won't be needed that strong later down the road..

I can't speak high enough of this product, it works that well...

I wouldn't adjust the idle lower than 600 in gear (If it'll even go that low)

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

BTW, the low mileage on the truck is because I usually ride the motorcycle (part of my username too-FJR1300 is a Yamaha Large Sport Tourer motorcycle). My current daily driver(a 600cc, 95HP Yamaha, 14k red line);

This bike ALWAYS has RF in it as well.. 2007, 19K miles now. Runs like a raped ape!
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Ha ha ha raped ape had me cracking up at my desk. Thats a nice bike. My buddy has an 87 BMW bike that has a ton of miles and runs like new. If maintained well, I think you could get some crazy high miles on a motorcycle.

I've got a newer Yamaha Bruin 350 and an older Honda ATV, I'll have to start using the ringfree in those as well. I bet I'll feel like a raped ape after buying it at the stealership here. I'll have to see if I can order it by the case from the USA, as I live close to the border.

Ok well I'll post back with results once I make adjustments and decarbonize this thing. Its a fun motor, goes like snot on my 16' Mr Pike.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Gidley View Post
        Ha ha ha raped ape had me cracking up at my desk. Thats a nice bike. My buddy has an 87 BMW bike that has a ton of miles and runs like new. If maintained well, I think you could get some crazy high miles on a motorcycle.

I've got a newer Yamaha Bruin 350 and an older Honda ATV, I'll have to start using the ringfree in those as well. I bet I'll feel like a raped ape after buying it at the stealership here. I'll have to see if I can order it by the case from the USA, as I live close to the border.

Ok well I'll post back with results once I make adjustments and decarbonize this thing. Its a fun motor, goes like snot on my 16' Mr Pike.
        Amazon has RF and its a bit cheaper than at the dealer too.
        Scott

Comment

Hey, just wanted to confirm something:

The pilot screws - turning the screws inwards is more lean, outwards is more rich? Rough idle and stall will be a sign of too rich, increase in RPM to stall will be too lean. Is that correct?

So what I want to do is count the turns between too lean and too rich, and the halfway point will be my ideal setting for the pilot screws? Or should I just set to 1 7/8 and make adjustments to the idle adjust screw. Is there any point in fine tuning the pilot screws?

Comment

Hey, just wanted to confirm something:

The pilot screws - turning the screws inwards is more lean, outwards is more rich? Rough idle and stall will be a sign of too rich, increase in RPM to stall will be too lean. Is that correct?

So what I want to do is count the turns between too lean and too rich, and the halfway point will be my ideal setting for the pilot screws? Or should I just set to 1 7/8 and make adjustments to the idle adjust screw. Is there any point in fine tuning the pilot screws?
            IDK for your specific model.

Most, from reading here on the forum, are GENERALLY, 1&3/4 TO 2 turns out from lightly seated.

I'm referring to the air screws, NOT the throttle stop, physical screw..
            Scott

Comment

Got you there - 1 7/8 is the amount in the shop manual.

But, does turning out to 2 make it more rich? turning in to 1 turn more lean? Its pretty simple, but so far I cant find the clear answer anywhere. It'll probably be obvious once the motor is in front of me lol.

Comment

Got you there - 1 7/8 is the amount in the shop manual.

But, does turning out to 2 make it more rich? turning in to 1 turn more lean? Its pretty simple, but so far I cant find the clear answer anywhere. It'll probably be obvious once the motor is in front of me lol.
                Opening (CC), the air screw, LEANS the mix (allows MORE AIR in the idle mix). That adjustment really only affects the lower RPM's. It does on MOST engines..

Above say 1/4 throttle (guestamating) your other jets are what govern the amount of fuel...
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2015, 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
                Scott

Comment

I believe Rodbolt has said in the past that CCW or cw lets more or less of the mix from the air jets and fuel jets into the system, not really making the mix richer or leaner.

IMHO
                  If the factory spec does not get it to run properly then there is a problem with the carb jets/passages or it is sucking air from somewhere else.
                  There is a +&- in the specs

Comment

Okay so I added the ring free, 12 ounces for just under 6 gallons of gas. Went down to the launch, started in the water fine but once off of fast idle it stalled out. Brought up idle speed to the point where it would stay running, let it warm up good. Idle had to be at least 1000 or else it would cough a few times and stall. Cough out of the exhaust, not a carb sneeze. Also, with idle set that high, fast idle is very high, like 3500 rpm.

Went for a cruise, very smooth at various rpms, nice power at full throttle. That all seems good. I didn't run long because the lack of smooth idle is worrying. I will go through the carbs again and flush the fuel lines. Today is a holiday so I will post back shortly once I do all of that.

Pat

Comment

Okay so I added the ring free, 12 ounces for just under 6 gallons of gas. Went down to the launch, started in the water fine but once off of fast idle it stalled out. Brought up idle speed to the point where it would stay running, let it warm up good. Idle had to be at least 1000 or else it would cough a few times and stall. Cough out of the exhaust, not a carb sneeze. Also, with idle set that high, fast idle is very high, like 3500 rpm.

Went for a cruise, very smooth at various rpms, nice power at full throttle. That all seems good. I didn't run long because the lack of smooth idle is worrying. I will go through the carbs again and flush the fuel lines. Today is a holiday so I will post back shortly once I do all of that.

Pat
                      When you say fast idle, you mean with the throttle in neutral?? You first posted 1,000 RPM's, can you please clarify?

Is that cold start it idles up that high?? Generally, when the RPMs run up that high on its own, its running real lean.

Run your weed-eater, etc out of gas, the idle will rise a bunch just before it stalls...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

What I mean is when it was set up in the driveway to idle at 800 rpm, all was good. Fast idle when starting neutral, from the fuel enrichment valve, would bring the rpm up to about 2000 before dropping down. Once in the water, it would stall after fuel enrichment turns off. If I bring the rpm up with the adjust screw high enough to keep it running, it is at 1000 rpm. Problem is that then when starting, fuel enrichment brings the rpm up way too high. Adjusting the pilot screws +/- 1/4 turn didn't clear it up, leading me to think there are other issues. I checked the plugs an they are all brown and nice. Lower two were a bit oily, thinking that may be from the ring free? Anyhow they didn't look lean, which is what I was worried about. Cleaning the carbs now and checking every little hole in each jet. We'll see what happens.

Comment

With that mix of RF, you really shouldn't see it on the plugs, even as much as it is. as you noted, the other plugs don't show it.

The plugs should be burning/looking all the same...

Pay close attention to the enrichment valve and orifices there..
                          Scott

Comment

Okay I think I've got it mostly sorted. Fuel enrichment may have been the problem, as I disassembled and cleaned that. Diaphragm isn't in great shape so I'll replace that, but seems ok in the meantime. Also swapped fuel pump as my spare was much newer and cleaner. Flushed fuel, re-cleaned carbs. so far it seems to be idling well. Pilot screws at 2.25 so just out of spec 1 7/8 +/-1/4). Idle is smooth just under 1000 rpm. I'll run two tanks of gas through with ring free, then readjust. When it does stall, it's kind of abrupt, not like a slow die out. Does that make sense for the enrichment valve causing fuel loading?

Comment

When it does stall, it's kind of abrupt, not like a slow die out. Does that make sense for the enrichment valve causing fuel loading?
                              IDK the answer to that, short of once(perhaps, again, IDK) its warmed up, simply un-plug the enrichment valve and see what happens. IDK if the unit is freezing in the open position or? See more below..

When it does stall suddenly, drop anchor. Let it cool down a bit and pull the spark plugs. Lets see if their wet with fuel(fouled out the engine?), or dry, and are they all burning about the same. The plugs should say a lot.

When its running good, same, check the plugs once you get home and lets see what they look like..

I would run the engine a bit more with the RF

But let the RF does its job...Even sitting over night, its in there working.
                              Scott

Comment

The issues im having sound a lot like this thread: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...h23661-p3.html

Which might confirm my suspicion of the bad prime start diaphragm. I wish I knew what their final solution was though.

Heading out soon for a cruise, see if things run better. Ordered the diaphragm and gaskets for the fuel enrichment, when those show up I will post if any results. Wish I had a timing light to confirm timing and a leakdown tester, it'd be good to rule out any issue, but compression was good so fingers crossed. I really think its getting too much fuel.

Comment

Working...
                                X