***HELP*** 2003 F225 Outboard Issues With Digital Tach - 6Y5-8350T-D0-00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***HELP*** 2003 F225 Outboard Issues With Digital Tach - 6Y5-8350T-D0-00

Good Morning everyone. So I have 2003 225TRXC and I purchased Digital Tach from a local dealer. They said it's plug-and-play with the harness. Well, I have a harness plugged in and the only thing I get is RPM which even when I remove the harness I still get RPM which must be powered off the Key Switch harness which was also purchased. I press the mode button and or set button and I have nothing. The only thing the mode button does is toggle engine hours on and off. I have downloaded the manual also online and it should be doing a lot more than that. The dealer wants me to bring the boat over because they saying I must not have it connected correctly. Does anyone have any ideas and I'm wondering if I need a different harness one that is two into one on the engine side?

Wondering if I need this 6Y5-85335-00-00
    Attached Files
    Last edited by orlandosean; 10-18-2021, 09:52 AM.

that tach has the following functionality:
    - display rpm
    - display total accumulated & 'trip' running hours (toggled by the mode button, reset using the set button)

- display trim position
    - display overheat indicator
    - display oil tank level status

the first two require only the individual wires w 'bullet' plugs -
    which connect to the keyswitch harness
    (the tach signal comes in on the green wire)

the latter three functions require connection to the engine -
    via a "trim & oil harness"
    using the male and the female 4-pin plugs

Last edited by fairdeal; 10-18-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

OP indicates that he has an F for four stroke F225. In his title. Then leaves out the F in the body of his message.

Comment

Your normally won't be seeing anything with respect to the over temperature and low oil pressure warning icons.

You should be seeing the bars on the trim scale move up and down. Presumes your trim sender and trim cam are working. Which might not be the case on a 2003 model year motor.

By the way, that tachometer does not indicate engine hours. It indicates tachometer hours. New tachometer should be showing 0 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          OP indicates that he has an F for four stroke F225. In his title. Then leaves out the F in the body of his message.
          "d'oh" as Homer used to say;

somehow I missed the TWO titles
          and only saw "So I have 2003 225TRXC "

Comment

Too much on your mind. Too busy helping THT'rs out.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Your normally won't be seeing anything with respect to the over temperature and low oil pressure warning icons.

You should be seeing the bars on the trim scale move up and down. Presumes your trim sender and trim cam are working. Which might not be the case on a 2003 model year motor.

By the way, that tachometer does not indicate engine hours. It indicates tachometer hours. New tachometer should be showing 0 hours.

So by this photo you attached, I need a dual cable that connects to two harnesses within the engine is that correct? Central Florida Marine sold me only one cable. What is also weird is that when I hit mode on the gauge, the only thing I can do is toggle between engine hours nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                that tach has the following functionality:
                - display rpm
                - display total accumulated & 'trip' running hours (toggled by the mode button, reset using the set button)

- display trim position
                - display overheat indicator
                - display oil tank level status

the first two require only the individual wires w 'bullet' plugs -
                which connect to the keyswitch harness
                (the tach signal comes in on the green wire)

the latter three functions require connection to the engine -
                via a "trim & oil harness"
                using the male and the female 4-pin plugs

Im so confused, The photo that the guy below attached shows two plugs to the engine and also would be connected to the two plugs coming out of the Tac. I have the wiring harness that connects to the key switch also. So that is where the RPM is being pulled from which is interesting. So all the videos and things I see online for the 6Y5-8350T-D0-00 show different graphs or indicators for the Oil and Overheat. When I turn on the key switch, I get a sold-like dash above the Engine Temp and also Oil on the gauge. Trim sender will be replaced today.

But again the photo below shows a two connector wire between the engine and key switch. So it looks like I do not have all the harnesses needed?

Comment

A 2003 F225 should have two square ivory coloured four pin connectors. I believe your tachometer has two ivory four pin connectors. Correct or not?

If so, you need the type of trim/oil harness that has two four pin connectors at each end. This harness conveys information to the tachometer. Trim, over temperature, low oil pressure.

There is a fused harness that connects the tachometer to the motor via the main ten pin harness. Power for the tachometer, ground for the tachometer and the RPM signal for the tachometer.

Comment

to connect between the two plugs on the engine harness,
                    and the two plugs on the tach,
                    you need a "Trim and Oil Harness"
                    they come in various lengths:

when you first turn on the key,
                    the screen of the tach will do a "self-test":

everything that can possibly be displayed,
                    will show up just for a few seconds -
                    what you see then is all you get.

The overheat and low oil pressure bar only shows when there is an alarm condition;
                    during normal operation,
                    you will see nothing.

Now, for engines 2006 and newer,
                    there is available a similar-appearing round tach -
                    the 6Y8 "Command Link"

Maybe you've seen pictures of that on the internet;

THAT device will actually display temperature and oil pressure -
                    but it won't work on your engine.

Comment

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by orlandosean View Post

Im so confused, The photo that the guy below attached shows two plugs to the engine and also would be connected to the two plugs coming out of the Tac. I have the wiring harness that connects to the key switch also. So that is where the RPM is being pulled from which is interesting. So all the videos and things I see online for the 6Y5-8350T-D0-00 show different graphs or indicators for the Oil and Overheat. When I turn on the key switch, I get a sold-like dash above the Engine Temp and also Oil on the gauge. Trim sender will be replaced today.

But again the photo below shows a two connector wire between the engine and key switch. So it looks like I do not have all the harnesses needed?
                        where is this 2 connector wire you speak of?
                        all I see is a 8 pin connector showing 8 wires

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                          to connect between the two plugs on the engine harness,
                          and the two plugs on the tach,
                          you need a "Trim and Oil Harness"
                          they come in various lengths:

when you first turn on the key,
                          the screen of the tach will do a "self-test":

everything that can possibly be displayed,
                          will show up just for a few seconds -
                          what you see then is all you get.

The overheat and low oil pressure bar only shows when there is an alarm condition;
                          during normal operation,
                          you will see nothing.

Now, for engines 2006 and newer,
                          there is available a similar-appearing round tach -
                          the 6Y8 "Command Link"

Maybe you've seen pictures of that on the internet;

THAT device will actually display temperature and oil pressure -
                          but it won't work on your engine.
                          This answers my question 100%. I went to Central Florida Marine yesterday and told me they do not stock the second harness and also they do not think they can get it anymore. Advised me to pull the Green and Green and Red wires from the connector and then add to the harness that I currently have and pigtail it under the dash. The tech there said I will only get the indicators when there is a failure as you mentioned.

THANKS!!!!

Comment

Central Florida Marine gave you bad advice. The harnesses are still available from Yamaha USA.

Of course you can always cut and splice wires.

Comment

May I join your discussion as a new Member?
                              RE: #6Y5-8350T-D0-00 Multi-function Tachometer w/ both Harnesses Trim/Oil #6Y5-83653-00-00 & Dual Fuse #6Y5-83553-N0-00

Studied wiring diagrams/instructions. New owner 1987 Boston Whaler 13' Sport w/ single-engine outboard Yamaha F25LC. No navigation lights (yet). Will install bow/stern lights but daytime use only until then. For now, please advise optimal set-up, specifically:

INSTALLATION QUESTION: On #6Y5-83553-N0-00, near in-line dual Fuses, 1-BLUE + 1-YELLOW wire. Without any current navigation lights, how would you connect these two Wires, what would you connect them to? Best solution given my situation. I'd like the Tach to light up, sure. Thanks kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X