No announcement yet.

97 150 2 Stroke Overheating STILL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are right I am not a marine Tech, but I did sleep at what ever that place was once.

I have worked on motors of all types and all sorts of things since I was in elementary school.
    Some people are prone to do this kind of stuff, work with their hands.

I was a GM certified Tech back in the early 70s, then became an electrician in a chemical plant working on large high voltage and small low voltage gear and made it far enough to where I was helping rewriting the safety standards for large chemical companys and writing procedures which I could not stand doing so I retired and started enjoying life again.

The OP did well except the reusing old gaskets,I give him credit for that.
    Hard to believe that small amount of crud caused the overheating, but if he says it is fixed I will take his word.

As said all learn new stuff as we go through life

Comment

Well said!

I've seen your username for many years gone back (on other marine websites) as well with MANY posts..

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        BTW, re your first thread, IDK the answer to your question re the water flow..I won't post as it doesn't help anyone.

There are some very knowledgeable folks here, sometimes it does get out of hand or if something is mis-worded, yep, it can get ugly, but I guess that's part of the net...

Glad you got it running.
        It is ok. When I rebuilt the powerhead in '06 I should have spun the lower unit shaft to observe which port the water came up through. My question really only was to help better my understanding of excactly how the water flows through my 2 stroke, in order to better understand why it was overheating. But that is a moot point now, until of course the next cooling problem

IE. some pic's of a Kawasaki MC engine(250cc, single, 4 stroke, dual over head cams, 4 valves, dual balancers, water cooled). I had to replace the stretched cam chain on it. Easily 5x harder to do than a belt change on a yamaha OB engine...Both side cases have to come off, clutch, water pump, valve cover, side covers, one cam, generator, two balancers(chain driven, etc).. And no, no diploma's for that either, just a shop manual and a bunch of time..
        Good job getting that done. It sounds quite tedious.

There's nothing better than hands on experience... If its something I'm NOT comfortable with, yes, it'll go to the Master tech, (that I trust) W/O hesitation..

I enjoy learning here as time marches on, for the tips. How something specific works, what to look for, etc.. Especially the fuel system and electronic's..

I enjoy wrenching and the sometimes challenge of finding what the issue is.
        X2

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        but typically doing a set of heads on an old 2 stroke is straight fwd.
        although I typically check the head and block surfaces for warpage and ALWAYS use new gaskets.
        if a fire ring fails water gets in the cyl.
        I'm sure you don't remember me rodbolt, but I sure do remember you from back in '06. You helped by answering some questions I had during my powerhead rebuild. And for that I continiue to thank you.

Comment

if you had looked carefully underneath the powerhead you would see the water comes in on the stbd side then the passage to the port and stbd side of the block is part of the block.
          the V4 looked the same.

Comment

BoatMon, thanks for sharing. We all learned something in an entertaining thread. Now we no what a doofus this guy is:

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
            No where did I read that he fixed it..and from looking at his pics,, he is going have major issue's..the head gaskets don't go on the block with chems..common wanna be mistake,,2nd mistake is to touch something that you don't have a clue about....Hey, I have a high speed drill and lots of needle nose..need some cheap dental work ??? I'm from the school that you pay the guy that knows his job, has ethics,,training,,tools and cares...very simple..
            Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
            16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              if you had looked carefully underneath the powerhead you would see the water comes in on the stbd side then the passage to the port and stbd side of the block is part of the block.
              the V4 looked the same.
              So water enters stbd side adjacent to the port for poppet/pressure valve exit water. Got it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X