90AETO cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90AETO cold start

Hi my 90AETO (I think is sames as 90TLRT) won't start when cold.

It takes 20+ goes to get it started.

Can I first check the starting procedure? I am used to a much simpler engine so let's get this right to start with.

The prime start lever goes all the way forward right ? How much bulb pumping needs to be done if any? Does the prime start lever stay forward once the first fire has happened or does it back off straight away or back off gradually?

I don't think the carbs are blocked - once it's warm it starts first time and runs me right up to 35kts. So that rules out any stuck needles or blocked jets.....

Do I need to get a new prime start solenoid?

Cheers,

Herman.

not sure what you are calling a prime start lever you are pushing all the way forward.

Maybe fast idle lever.
    but try leaving that lever alone, do not move it forward at all

Comment

Pump the primer bulb until it is firm. Hold the ball vertical with the outlet on top.

As 99 says, leave the fast idle lever (if this is what you are calling a prime start lever) alone. fully down. See what happens.
      If the motor does not start quickly lift up just a tad on the fast idle lever. See what happens.

Assumption being the the primestart lever on the carburetor is in the automatic position.

Comment

I have a control box like the one in this pic = not exactly the same but like it. The lever I have pointed at has Prime Start written on it. You can raise it to vertical. When the engine is running and you do this it makes the revs go up fast. This is whan I mean by the Prime Start lever.

It is connected by a cable to the butterfly value throttle on all three carbs - see the pic.

I have looked to see if there is a selector on the carb to see if there is a control there to select Prime Start on or of - there does not seem to be one. Umless its round the back side behind the air box.

Any help ?

Comment

leave that fast idle lever alone
          pump primer bulb until tight
          turn the key to start for a just few seconds,
          repeat a couple more times. motor should start with 2 or 3 try's when cold starting
          look on the other side of the carbs of that picture for the red prime start lever
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-04-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Ok I will have a look because something not right starts like a dog

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Melville View Post
              Ok I will have a look because something not right starts like a dog
              opening the throttle adds too much air during cold starts, leave it alone
              look for the red prime Start lever as Boscoe mentioned and make sure it is in the full counter clockwise position(normal/auto)

Comment

OK thanks I will give it a try.

But why did Yamaha go to all that trouble to put the lever in - what does it do ?

Comment

On a cold day one might want to increase the idle rpm without shifting the motor into gear. Thus the fast idle lever.

Some motors will start more easily with a bit of added air. Thus the lever.

If a motor is flooded, opening the throttles will help clear the excess gasoline out. Thus the lever.

How old are you?

Comment

Working...
                  X