2001 F50 Carb Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 F50 Carb Issue

My brother bought this old boat and motor, he didn't test drive it first. It runs like crap and I'm trying to get it healed up some. This is liable to be an ongoing thread...

So, it starts and idles OK, but won't throttle up, until after a lengthy warm up period. I thought I'd look at the carbs, see if they needed cleaning. This is what I found:

Obviously that piece is broken. Is that something that can be replaced, and if so, how does that come out? The o-ring on that plug was pretty toasty.
    Last edited by hogaboomer; 10-02-2021, 11:00 AM.

I got it out, now to look at the parts page and get a new one ordered. Looks like that might have something to do with running like crap. Is this what they're calling the main nozzle?
    I just found another one that's cracked. What's the procedure for putting these in without cracking them? I have a service manual ordered, but it's not getting here till next week, I guess that won't matter till the parts get here, though.

Last edited by hogaboomer; 10-02-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Yes. That part is known as the main nozzle.

Comment

Thanks boscoe. How do those install? Very carefully? Looks like whoever worked on this thing last wasn't very careful. Can't imagine that's normal wear and tear.

Comment

Those parts on boats.net parts page don't look the same as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by hogaboomer View Post
            Those parts on boats.net parts page don't look the same as mine.
            I am not following you.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...lrz/carburetor

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...326b31156340a6

Comment

Comment

You're right, I may have been looking at something else. Do those just slide in and out? The one I have that's cracked is in there pretty tight. Thanks for your help.

Comment

It just pushes in, you'll feel it stop when installed and it only goes in one way.

The tip is usually just visible down the throttle throat when installed.

For screw in jets, (especially an older machine), it's imperative to have a screwdriver that fits very snuggly.
                  'd also soak the orifice / jet with penetrating oil to help break a sticky jet loose.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks, Townsends. I have some liquid wrench on it now.

edit: I got it out, squeezed it from the inside with channel locks.
                    Last edited by hogaboomer; 10-02-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      20 years of soaking in gasoline really ages that brass!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X