2008 F20 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 F20 oil leak

I just bought a used and in excellent shape 2008 F20 long shaft. Its my 1st four stroke so not used to these type of outboards. When I bought it the dealer ran it for me and went over the operation of the motor prior to mounting it on my jon boat. They also had serviced it fully prior to me purchasing it. When I got home I noticed a couple drops of engine oil on the skeg. I wiped it off and looked for a leak. I noticed it seemed to be coming from the area of the engine oil drain plug. I wiped it off and figured it was just residual oil that was trapped there after they changed the oil. I also pulled the middle cover off and there doesnt seem to be any leaks coming from the engine itself. I took the boat for a 10 mile cruise and it ran great. Next day I see a little more oil around that rubber where the drain plug is although just barely damp, not dripping. It also seems to me that there is some kind of vent hose just above the drain plug. Im assuming its a crankcase breather but not sure. If it is could the drip come from that? Also if the dealer didnt replace the drain plug gasket are they known to leak?
    Last edited by DSmith1178; 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM.
Working...
X