Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha Pro series analog tach with 2 dip switches instead of normal pole setting dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Pro series analog tach with 2 dip switches instead of normal pole setting dial

I just picked up a new analog 6y7-83540-81-00 tach from boats.net for my 70tlrd and when it came in there are 2 dip switches instead of the normal dial for the pole setting. The only thing is there is no card showing what to set the dip switches to or even what they are for. It also has a single screw on plastic holder to mount it in place vs the old style dual post with nuts and washers and a bent metal bracket. Other than that it looks pretty much the same. I have a 2020 rigging guide and its not in there. Maybe someone has a 2021 that has it and can send me a copy of the page showing what the dip switch settings are. I cant even locate a tach like it online. Even boats.net site shows the other style with the normal pole dial and metal bracket and 2 studs on their site instead of the tach I received today. Looking online I can not locate a single picture of this tach anywhere not even on Yamahas site.

So nobody has run into this but me? I guess nobody uses analog tachs anymore. I was really hoping one of the guys who works at a dealership or parts house could answer my question. I bought the normal style analog Yamaha tach last year with the typical dial to set pole position but no such luck when I opened the box on this one. It would be nice if Yamaha sent a card telling you what the dip switches do. I tried every combination on my two stroke 70 and never got a good reading all the way through the rpm range. I checked it against a digital gauge from another boat and its reading fine on it. It would be nice to know what changed and if there is still a Yamaha analog tach that works on 2 strokes. It looks like I will have no choice but to send this back to boats.net when I called and asked they were no help just issues a ra and said they guess they changed it. It would be great to know going forward if I can still order analog tachs from Yamaha to replace similar gauges that fail or become faded from uv.

Comment

Up front, I don't know the answer, but... one would assume the siwtches are there to be used with 4cyl, 6cyl, and 8cyl just like the rotary switch. But it sounds like you already tried all switch combinations using the trial and error method and nothing worked. I googled for "yamaha tachometer pole settings" and got a few results - try that and double check. Maybe that tach can't be used with your 2-stroke? Otherwise, maybe it would be best to return that one and buy one from a Yamaha dealer - I'm sure they can provide some guidance.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

That tachometer is meant for four strokes but I don't understand why the RPM indication is not functioning. Will check with Yamaha tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Comment

Both switches are to be in the up (ON) position for use with a 70TLRD.

Single green wire connected to the ten pin harness via a fused gauge harness.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Both switches are to be in the up (ON) position for use with a 70TLRD.

Single green wire connected to the ten pin harness via a fused gauge harness.
            Thanks for the info boscoe99 I sent it back already. Is this now the only way they make analog tachs now? no more with the standard pole setting dial like they have been forever? I liked the simplicity of just setting the pole position with the dial and installing it. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
            X