1988 Yamaha 25sg CDI unit 6L2-85540-10-00 replacement part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 25sg CDI unit 6L2-85540-10-00 replacement part

Hello, I am searching for this part, and it is discontinued, is there a compatible replacement from anyone ? Motor is in excellent shape, would hate to have to dump it for a single part. What about a later unit ie. 6L2-85540-23-00 ?

Thanks for any help offered.
    Kind Regards,
    Forest

I would not think that a -23 would work as a replacement for a -10 CDI assembly.

Comment

How is it known that the -10 CDI is kaput?

Comment

I have replaced coils, plugs, rebuilt carbs, its only thing left for the most part, we had this happen about 10 years ago, and replaced it and all was back to normal. I have it with a mechanic now and he has come to the same conclusion. Although I am a bit reluctant to put too much $ in a 1988 motor. It is in perfect shape and has little freshwater use overall. Zero rust etc.

Runs ok low RPM, but loses power at high RPM/WOT, will run up but then cuts in and out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Comment

anyone ? please chime in

Comment

testing inputs and outputs of the CDI while problem shows up should tell what is failing

Comment

Has the CDI been tested for outputs?

Comment

The issue is it is intermittent, mainly at or near WOT, kind of hard to test when the issue arises

Comment

But not impossible to do,
                  run some wires from the motor to the meter and watch while running.
                  you need to find out if spark is the problem

a timing light might also be able to see if spark is dropping to one or more cylinders while hooked up to the individual plug wires, but will require more than one person

Comment

at this point I am just looking for a new/replacement CDI, tired of spending time...

Comment

Hey did you find a replacement for the cdi box #6l2-85540-10 I’m having the same problem trying to find one

Comment

Working...
                      X