Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voltage regulator/rectifier

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Voltage regulator/rectifier

    I have a 94' Yamaha 200 that has week spark on two cylinders. I am wondering if a bad voltage regulator can cause this.
    How many volts should be being output to charge the battery? It is only putting out one volt if I disconnect the battery lead and measure what is being sent to the battery.
    James
    1994 200txrs

  • #2
    Voltage is measured with the regulator connected to a good battery. Should be more or less 14 volts.

    Fix the voltage problem first and then proceed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Voltage is measured with the regulator connected to a good battery. Should be more or less 14 volts.

      Fix the voltage problem first and then proceed.
      Thank you Boscoe! With engine off. The battery is at twelve volts. With engine on it is 12.6V.
      James
      1994 200txrs

      Comment


      • #4
        a good battery should be 12.6v with motor running it should read 13-14

        never disconnect the battery with the motor running

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          a good battery should be 12.6v with motor running it should read 13-14

          never disconnect the battery with the motor running
          Thanks again! For some reason my battery charger (Schumacher from Advanced Auto Parts) will not charge a battery that is 12v or more. I need to get a new one.
          With all the rain we have had. I have been blaming my bilge pump on running down my battery.

          Yamaha sure does get good money for there parts.
          James
          1994 200txrs

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by James004 View Post

            Thanks again! For some reason my battery charger (Schumacher from Advanced Auto Parts) will not charge a battery that is 12v or more. I need to get a new one.
            With all the rain we have had. I have been blaming my bilge pump on running down my battery.

            Yamaha sure does get good money for there parts.
            are you sure the meter you are using is reading properly?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

              are you sure the meter you are using is reading properly?
              Yes I have several. I put the battery on my solar charger today and it went to 12.7V with engine off. 12.67V with engine running. The regulator failed the Ohm test. Instead of infinity you showed 7ohms and i think 19 on one of the other legs. I found a used one locally. I will install tomorrow.
              James
              1994 200txrs

              Comment


              • #8
                you should be measuring the input to the regulator also, like the service manual calls for.
                but then that calls for a peak reading meter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  you should be measuring the input to the regulator also, like the service manual calls for.
                  but then that calls for a peak reading meter
                  I just received my DVA adapter today and did not get a chance to measure. However the stator was changed already. In an attempt to fix the week spark issue. Without the DVA I measured 19v or 29v. I cant recall exactly.
                  As far as the week spark goes. I believe it was due to two bad coils. I replaced one and that cylinder started firing. If I swap coils the problem moves with it. I have been told by two seasoned Yamaha mechanics that these coils don't go bad. But I cant argue with the reality that swapping showed. So tomorrow I will attempt to hunt down a coil. Anyone in CT have one for sale?
                  Last edited by James004; 6 days ago.
                  James
                  1994 200txrs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How old is your battery ? 2 years its time for new.. That u can bank on..... And DONT use deep cycle
                    use cranking or dual purpose.. Read your owners manual.. (For gods sake)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                      How old is your battery ? 2 years its time for new.. That u can bank on..... And DONT use deep cycle
                      use cranking or dual purpose.. Read your owners manual.. (For gods sake)
                      The battery is a dual purpose that is less than one year old. I put the new/used regulator on and now I have 14.25 volts!

                      However that did not resolve the week spark issue. So I put on a second new coil and all if good now.

                      Thank you to all of you for your comments!
                      James
                      1994 200txrs

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X