Yamaha 703 control box and Rubik's cube - stowing cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 703 control box and Rubik's cube - stowing cables

Hi all, I'm nearly to the end of a long project and am hooking up my Yamaha 703 remote. But before I start, I know you folks like particulars, so:

1. 2004 F60TRLC
    2. 6y5-83553-n0 gauge harness
    3. 68f-82553-50 trim wire lead
    4. 6yy-83540-20 Tach

Ok, I think you have the key information.

My questions really relate to connectivity - or most specifically how do you folks fit all the bullet connectors into the control box? I haven't even added these cables and the box is already full. Obviously I need to keep these connectors away from moving parts within the control box. I must be missing something!

I believe I have everything I need - at least from my prior listing here: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...s-th20000.html

Thanks!

I don't recall the bullet connectors being located within the 703 control box. I thought/think the connections are made outside of the box.

See illustrations here

2015_Yamaha_MRP

Comment

Perhaps that's my issue. At a minimum, I need to connect the 10 connections that represent the main harness from the engine into the control box - which connects via bullet connectors to the ignition switch, alarm/horn, and lanyard switch. Does the trim toggle switch connection happen within the control box or outside?

Comment

A 703 box comes with the ten pin harness already installed. But yes, it can be replaced and simply plugs into the key switch using bullet connectors, inside the box. My previous comments pertained to the connectors for the gauges.

2006 and Later Rigging Yamaha Outboard CONTROL STANDARD SIDE 703 PUSH Diagram and Parts

If a third trim switch is to be installed then it also connects outside the control box, the same as the gauge bullet leads.

Comment

So, in this prior post http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...s-th20000.html you'll see the 3 cables referenced for my engine. Can someone confirm that 68F-82553 is the correct one for my engine (2004). Boscoe99, you linked to a 2005 rigging manual. Do you have the one for a 2004? In 2005, my engine went to fuel injected - so it's possible other things changed as well.

I post this because I find no mating connectors to match the 68f-82553 cable. And it boscoe99's rigging schematic, it shows s6y5-83653-xx. The 68F-82553 has two cable ends - the schematic shows one. And the cable colors are off.

I'm guessing that the boats.net list from the prior link is incorrect. Can someone confirm? Thanks

Comment

Folks, it looks like the post from 2012 above might be wrong. The research I've done suggests that 6Y5-83553-00 is the right cable. As I specified in that post, I have tach 6y5-83540-20. Argh.

I really need confirmation on correct cable and where to plug into engine.
            Last edited by exeter27; 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Double check the part number for your tachometer. It does not look right.

In addition to the separate single wires coming from the tach, how many square nylon connectors does it use? One or two.

Yamaha changes wire colors for the hell of it. They don't always match.

An F60TLRC has two connectors in the engine pan for tach data. The 68F harness has two connecors at end. If your tach has two connectors, well and good. If the tach has one connector you will need an adapter harness at the tach end.

Comment

I checked the tach. It is 6y5-83540-20; it has 1 square connector 4 position, 2 used (red with blue stripe, green with brown stripe) and 1 bullet connector (yellow with brown stripe) for the oil/temp lamps and 5 bullet connectors for the back light and meter (blue, black for light, yellow, black, green for meter).

The schematic with the tach shows 6y5-83553-00 from control box to tach using the 5 bullet connectors. It then shows a separate cable (labeled as 'to engine wire harness') using the single 2 cable, 4 slot connector (only 2 used).

I'll post a couple of pictures in a few minutes that hopefully clear this up.

Comment

And here is the schematic that came with the tachometer.

Comment

You will need the adapter harness.

Just hook the tach up for now using just the single wires. The lights won't work but the rpm part will.

When I get home next week I can show you a connection diagram.

Comment

Tachometer backlight and meter: P6230012.jpg

Tach oil and temperature lights: P6230015.jpg

Engine possible connector 1: P6230022.jpg

Engine possible connector 2: P6230024.jpg

Comment

Just so that you know, engines prior to the 2005 model year used two nylon connectors. Two in the engine pan, two at each end of the trim oil harness and two on the tachometer.

2005 and later engines use just one connector in the engine pan. Yam offered a different trim oil harness and tachometer that have just one connector.

You have a pre 2005 motor that you want to connect to a post 2005 gauge. So, an adapter is needed.

This applies to engines sold in the US only.

Comment

I'll wait for your reply when you get home!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            When I get home next week I can show you a connection diagram.
                            Does this means you headed south again for awhile?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              Does this means you headed south again for awhile?
                              I am south. Nine degrees north of the equator. Will be eight degrees manana. Cooler here than in Georgia.

Comment

Working...
                              X