New to the forum( Shift Rod Issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum( Shift Rod Issue)

Tried to search for this problem and no answer. I have a 04/05 50 Yammy 2 stroke and replaced the water pump and the shift rod stayed in the top motor housing. On reinstall the rod will not seat in the spline in lower unit and is stuck in gear. The shift rod just spins in the LU like the spline is not lining up somehow. Any clues to how this might be resolved. Thanks for any help.
    Buddy
    Last edited by ifish911; 06-21-2015, 03:57 AM.

You will need to pull the shift rod housing and try to line things back up to reinstall the shift rod.

There is a very good chance you will have to pull the prop shaft and carrier as the cam(shifter) is spring loaded to go into forward gear

Can you post a complete model # of your motor?
    non US motors have a different mechanism, so we do not know what you have.

There should have been a C clip that keeps the shift shaft from coming out

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      You will need to pull the shift rod housing and try to line things back up to reinstall the shift rod.

There is a very good chance you will have to pull the prop shaft and carrier as the cam(shifter) is spring loaded to go into forward gear

Can you post a complete model # of your motor?
      non US motors have a different mechanism, so we do not know what you have.

There should have been a C clip that keeps the shift shaft from coming out
      Thanks for the info and it sounds deadnuts on. I have downloaded a manual and I see the clip was missing. This is a Yamaha 50 TLR 6H5K L 1007183 K Made in Japan. I have the skill set but not a lot of gear pulling tools. Is it a big job for a novice or a trip to the dealer? I like doing things myself and this is turning into a challenge that should have been a 1 hour job. I bought the boat used and so far has been a good motor that is a little hard to start. I fish a lot below some dams on the Ohio River and I need this to be in really good shape for safety. Thanks for all the help and maybe some day I can contribute a little to the forum. Buddy

Comment

If that clip came off and dropped down into the gear case then you would be better off pulling the carrier and prop shaft out and finding it before it gets into the gears.

If you do not have the tool to remove the big nut holding carrier in, you can drill it in several places and break it out without harming the threads if you are good.

then you still have to get the carrier out.
        corrosion usually has it in there real good.

2004 should be a 50TLRC
        2005 should be 50TLRD

It is up to you to decide if you want to tackle it yourself, but a good Yamaha shop will have techs and tools to do it right

Comment

With the LU off already too, you'll save a couple of bucks.

Tell the shop what you need done, pull the LU apart find /replace the clip and see what the labor hours are. That may be much easier should you tear up the casing.

That or start doing it yourself and if you get stuck, bring to the shop and let them finish up..

Kudo's to 99Yam!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Guys

I will be taking it to a boat mechanic and have the whole thing resealed while I am at it. Thanks for all the help. Boats are a money pit sometimes. I have a F 150 Yamaha on another boat and that is a sweet motor except for the hard shifting that the dealer says is normal. I will say a warning to anyone with this motor to make sure the shift shaft stays in the LU on a water pump rebuild. If I had known maybe it would have saved some trouble. With the clip missing it is probably a good thing to find!! I think it is a 50TLR D but the tag does not say that exactly. Thanks 99Yam for your help.
            Buddy
            Last edited by ifish911; 06-22-2015, 08:53 AM.

Comment

A question for you.
              Did the shaft get stuck in the female splined down shaft socket that caused it to pull out of the lower unit?
              It should have separated where it is suppose to easily.
              Rust/corrosion maybe?

Always clean and grease all splined shafts when putting things back together to keep them from getting stuck/rusted together.

You can have the shop remove the Nut,carrier, and prop shaft for you, and then you reseal and put it all back together. But you will need someone with the proper tool to torque the big nut again.
              And the manual does call for some special tools for removing and installing seals

Comment

Originally posted by ifish911 View Post
                I have a F 150 Yamaha on another boat and that is a sweet motor except for the hard shifting that the dealer says is normal.
                Sounds like a plan!

BTW, that F150 should shift without any issues. My 06 F150 shifts fine and I've NEVER read on this forum of any shifting issues with this engine.

Normal idle is 700+ /- 50.

If your under warranty, you may want to speak to someone ELSE about it..
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  A question for you.
                  Did the shaft get stuck in the female splined down shaft socket that caused it to pull out of the lower unit?
                  It should have separated where it is suppose to easily.
                  Rust/corrosion maybe?

Always clean and grease all splined shafts when putting things back together to keep them from getting stuck/rusted together.

You can have the shop remove the Nut,carrier, and prop shaft for you, and then you reseal and put it all back together. But you will need someone with the proper tool to torque the big nut again.
                  And the manual does call for some special tools for removing and installing seals
                  The shaft came out very easy from the female spline at the top. The clip was missing for some reason. I have it at a mechanic and he said he would try and find the clip. I am doing all new seals while I am at it and a new clip. I bought this used with only 200 hours on the hour meter and it seems in good condition over all. I suspect someone has had the LU apart for some reason and didn't put it back together right. Thanks for your help!!
                  Buddy

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Sounds like a plan!

BTW, that F150 should shift without any issues. My 06 F150 shifts fine and I've NEVER read on this forum of any shifting issues with this engine.

Normal idle is 700+ /- 50.

If your under warranty, you may want to speak to someone ELSE about it..
                    I had this at a Yamaha shop and they said the hard shifting is normal. Now I am wandering if it is what they say. Still under warranty for 2 more years. May find another Yamaha dealer and see what they say. When I put in either gear it sounds very loud and fells tight for some reason. I do a lot of scanning with my Lowrance sidescan and it gets old sometimes hearing that heavy clunk. The idle is @ 700 and it dies a lot when I come off throttle very fast to neutral. The motor runs great at normal operation but I hate the shifting.
                    Buddy

Comment

Rodbolt17 has posted how to adjust things on the F150 to keep it from stalling so much, but I do not know about the hard shifting.
                      Sounds like it is the loud clunk you are getting is your complaint not so much hard to move

Comment

STALlING

I had the same issues stalling coming in to dock. Its a well documented issue and is most likely under warranty.

The shop I initially brought it to, replaced the throttle bodies under warranty(would have been over $1,000). The issue isn't the TB's but how you set certain sensors, to fool the ECU.

The idle was still low after that and I watched the "tech" tune a nasty vibration with a screw driver into the engine and couldn't bring it back.

Found a Yamaha Master tech at another dealer, he got rid of the vib, got the idle raised, stalling is gone.

Find a master tech. Rodbolt has a procedure that I printed out (years ago) and brought to the mechanic. I don't think the MT followed those procedures as their not common BUT the engine doesn't stall anymore and the idle is dead nuts on..

Your dealer should have addressed that stalling, BUT I wouldn't let anyone but a Master Tech touch it. The reg tech screwed it up and it cost me about $200 to fix it..
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X