F250 leaking motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 leaking motor oil

Can someone point me in the right direction here .... 2007 F250 Runs well with no performance issues ... a day or 2 after running, with the engine in the tilt position, I find motor oil in the transom well and in the rigging tube ... Motor oil level is still between the fill marks on the dip stick ... slick in the water , oil in rigging tube, oil in transom well ... definitely motor oil .....>> removing the cover I see oil pooled ..however i cannot see where it is leaking from , both with motor off and running .. After cleaning up the mess , no leak until the next trip and the same sequence
    Last edited by ttles714; 09-06-2021, 05:59 PM.

How long have you owned this motor? Do you know the maintenance history?

Clean everything REALLY good. Tape paper towels in key places - oil won't run uphill so this should get you going in the right direction... port/stbd side and an approx height of where it's coming from.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

have the motor about 4 years now.... can't see any leaks with motor running or off .... I guess I have to duplicate the situation by running all day and then leave tilted with cover off and look to see if i can see where the leak is coming from .. Filter is dry no leaks there ... I sprayed it down the motor case and inside the rigging tube with dawn and flushed with a hose ... 2nd time it's happened ...
      Last edited by ttles714; 09-06-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttles714 View Post
        I guess I have to duplicate the situation by running all day and then leave tilted with cover off and look to see if i can see where the leak is coming from ..
        Yes. And/or... do what I mentioned. No need to leave the cover off if you're leaving the boat, though.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

You can get a dye kit and put it in the oil to help track down hard to find leaks.

Comment

Working...
          X